Pre-Purchace advice

Hey everyone! Great, great forum here! First post!

I'm looking to pick up a 7.62X39, and I'm debating on the regular stock, or the skeletonized stock.

My confusion is two-fold....

First issue is I'm a lefty, and I was thinking that the skeletonized stock might make it slightly easier to manipulate the rifle than the regular stock. Any thoughts on that??? I prefer the look of the regular stock, but if the skeletonized stock makes life a little easier, (I'm thinking reloads) I would consider it.

The other concern is I'm in NJ...(yes, I know :ded: ) I pretty much want to keep this thing stock while living here, and was wondering if the skeletonized stock constitutes having a pistol-grip which is still considered an "evil" feature here in NJ. I know technically it is not, but technically (or reason) often does not apply in NJ. If you look @ the skeletonized stock, the grip acts something like a pistol-grip would. (Doing my best to think like a Jersey politician here)

I want it for fun, to stay off the radar, keep it 100% stock while living here, and want to have a good chance of still being compliant when more bans are put into effect here. Might want to throw a scope on it, but that would be it until I get out of here.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Merry Christmas!

Hi and welcome aboard!

I had replaced the standard stock on my 223 for the skeletonized stock and personally have mediocre feelings for it. The "pistol" grip does allow for better comfort and handling. My only gripe is that the adjustable cheek weld doesn't necessarily fit my frame. In the "down" position (ie, turned to the right and not using it) my eye level is too low, it the "up" position my eye level is too high, and the 3/4 position is also too high for me. So I've got it positioned sightly up and to the right, but it doesn't lock in place which can cause the cheek piece to shift with each shot, then you have to readjust it, which is annoying. The standard stock had a good weld for me, but I didn't like the grip position.

I don't think the skeletonized stock was designed for lefties, as the cheek positions lock in for righties, so its up to you to decide whether the pistol grip function supersedes the poor weld design. I'm using it as an HD weapon, so the cheek piece doesn't matter as much.

I don't believe the skeletonized stock qualifies as a true pistol grip, it's "pistol" grip like, just like thumbhole stocks, but I don't know the rules and regs of NJ so I'll let others chime in.

One thing you lose by replacing the stock is the "hunting rifle" look of an unconverted Saiga.

Yeah, the standard config & sporting stock is perfect for a place like Jersey. All those "evil" features seemed to have been taken care of w/ the Saiga - but, I'll have the option of modifying it in the future when I escape from here.

Anyway, I'll likely go for the "standard" rather than the skeletonized stock, but I appreciate the feedback. A local shop has the 16" for right around $300.

The thumbhole stock isn't considered a pistol grip in New Jersey. BTW, I should let you know that you can in fact have a pistol grip on a rifle in NewJersey. You are allowed to have 2 evil features. Evil features being, detachable magazine, pistol grip, bayonet lug, and a threaded barrel unless you silver solder something over it.

I'm in Hudson county and have a pistol grip on mine, the detachable magazine is a given. This is the same reason you can buy an AR in this state. I've never seen an AR without a pistol grip if you know what I mean.

When I bought my gun I also opted for the thumbhole stock but regretted it pretty soon. I converted that thing in no time and could have saved the additional money from the thumbhole stock. I also think you're paying too much for the rifle. I know I paid too much for mine and I got the skeleton stock for $300.00 I never thought I was gonna convert mine so I didn't mind paying the extra money for the nicer stock but really regret it now. With the money I would have saved on the stock I could have bought my fire control group or something.

Edited by taurussvt

I put the skeleton stock on my s 223 and I like the length of pull better than the regular stock.It is made for right handers but I'm lefty so all I did was put the cheek pad where you want it and cut a notch to lock it in place.It is now good for left or right hand use.I think I am going to convert mine though and sell the skeleton.The stock is good because with the cheek pad you could shoot with a scope or move the pad and shoot with irons well.

I live in NJ and I have the skeleton stock 308. Pistol grips are legal in NJ just like taurussvt said. I would add that you can't have a folding or collapsible stock either for any rifle and no mags over 15rds.

I shoot at a range that a lot of LEO's shoot and you're not going to stay under the radar with a Saiga. Every person that's seen me shoot it at the range has walked over, introduced themselves, and asked about the rifle. One LEO armorer commented that he was surprised that an AK with a "pistol grip" could be sold in NJ. I just smiled and nodded and told him I liked it. It would have been a pointless debate anyway, especially after he said he was a certified Colt AR armorer as well. I really really really wanted to ask him if he'd ever worked on an AR that didn't have a pistol grip.

I can't wait until they see me there with my S-12 (which can't be converted in NJ and can't have the skeleton stock either).

So if you want to save some cash for the conversion, get the standard stock.

So if you want to save some cash for the conversion, get the standard stock.

I agree 100%

Even before I had ever heard of a Saiga I saw one in a gun shop and asked the guy if it was some kind of AK47. It turned out that the guy selling them didn't, and still doesn't know shit about them. But either way, you can tell what it is pretty easily even in the sporting disguise. I figured why the hell not, everybody at the range knew what the hell it was, so I converted it and made it that much more bad ass.

Edited by taurussvt

Makin' it "much more bad ass" will certainly be a future goal for me!

Very true about the AR & pistol grip - people are very odd like the AK is somehow more "evil" than the AR. I'm just trying to think ahead to when they make it a problem for rifles with more than one "evil" feature. Maybe I worry too much and should try having more fun!

Anyway....

Taurussvt, if you don't mind me asking, do you know of a place for a better price than $300-ish around here? Generally, I support Meltzer's, but I'll shop it a bit if the price difference is significant.

GunnyR, I think most folks will literally crap when they see the S-12 on the range! Do you shoot @ a public range around here? The closest one to me is Cherry Ridge. Seems odd that so many people would actually come over ant talk about what to me, looks like a pretty plain rifle compared to some of the pimped-out ARs seen on the range. Must be a novelty of some sort. S-12 mmmmmmmm.

Thanks again everyone! Very cool to find other Jersey Saiga fans too!

I shoot at Cumberland Riflemen in Cumberland county (waaay south from you I think) and I also shoot clays at a wildlife management area that's literally right around the corner from my house.

Also, don't get me wrong when I say everyone comes up and asks about my rifle. They're very friendly when asking about it. What grabs their attention is the big boom and fireball that comes out of a 16" .308. All they know about ak's is that it shoots the 7.62x39 round (like the sks' that's prevalent around here). They're intrigued by the fact that an ak is chambered for something else and they seem to come off with a "that's pretty cool" attitude.

In regards to the s-12, I think I can pretty much say I'm the first kid on the block to own a mag fed semi-auto shotgun built on an ak receiver.

Gunny - That's cool. It's looked @ as a novelty by your fellow shooters! Up this way, it really depends on the crowd. I've seen AR guys get hassled by the Elmur Fudd types about the perceived legality of a particular rifle they were using. :rolleyes:

I just want something fun that won't draw undue attention, and I think the Siaga is a good bet. I think I'll get the regular stock, some spare mags and take it from there.

Thanks!!!

Makin' it "much more bad ass" will certainly be a future goal for me!

Very true about the AR & pistol grip - people are very odd like the AK is somehow more "evil" than the AR. I'm just trying to think ahead to when they make it a problem for rifles with more than one "evil" feature. Maybe I worry too much and should try having more fun!

Anyway....

Taurussvt, if you don't mind me asking, do you know of a place for a better price than $300-ish around here? Generally, I support Meltzer's, but I'll shop it a bit if the price difference is significant.

GunnyR, I think most folks will literally crap when they see the S-12 on the range! Do you shoot @ a public range around here? The closest one to me is Cherry Ridge. Seems odd that so many people would actually come over ant talk about what to me, looks like a pretty plain rifle compared to some of the pimped-out ARs seen on the range. Must be a novelty of some sort. S-12 mmmmmmmm.

Thanks again everyone! Very cool to find other Jersey Saiga fans too!

That's kind of funny, I bought mine from Meltzers. I know one of the guys who works there, Frank Romito. He's a member of the same range I go to and he gave me my skeletonized 7.62 16" barrel gun for $300.00 They wanted $330.00 for it originally. http://classicarms.us/ Has them for $249.00 you've just got to find somebody with an FFL that won't charge you much for the transfer. I'm pretty sure either on gunbroker or gunsamerica they had a link to find FFL's in your area and said what they charged for transfers.

Edited by taurussvt
I've seen AR guys get hassled by the Elmur Fudd types about the perceived legality of a particular rifle they were using.

Don't pay any attention to them. If you get hassled like that just politely excuse yourself and tell them you want to get back to shooting. There are people like that everywhere you go. They think the 2nd Amendment means they can keep their ultra-expensive Italian double barrel shotgun while you lose your evil black rifle.

In regards to the ak I think the bias against it is unconscious because it's associated with things like the Iron Curtain, the Viet Cong, Arab terrorists, and "gangsta' fo' life" idiots.

I've seen AR guys get hassled by the Elmur Fudd types about the perceived legality of a particular rifle they were using.

Don't pay any attention to them. If you get hassled like that just politely excuse yourself and tell them you want to get back to shooting. There are people like that everywhere you go. They think the 2nd Amendment means they can keep their ultra-expensive Italian double barrel shotgun while you lose your evil black rifle.

In regards to the ak I think the bias against it is unconscious because it's associated with things like the Iron Curtain, the Viet Cong, Arab terrorists, and "gangsta' fo' life" idiots.

I think Gunny hit the nail on the head--a lot of us grew up seeing the bad guys use this rifle on the news and in movies. After all that history, how could anything from Russia be good?