Hey guys, I would really like to order a Saiga 12. Uses would be fun, quail/turkey, very casual/informal skeet, and home defense...so I'm going for flexibility. Are there other practical differences in the Saiga 12s besides barrel length? I can actually find the 24", but the 19" is rare. Would buying the 24" and possibly sawing off to 19" be a decent option?

Hey guys, I would really like to order a Saiga 12. Uses would be fun, quail/turkey, very casual/informal skeet, and home defense...so I'm going for flexibility. Are there other practical differences in the Saiga 12s besides barrel length? I can actually find the 24", but the 19" is rare. Would buying the 24" and possibly sawing off to 19" be a decent option?

I believe the 24" version has a fixed Full choke. Chopping the barrel and threading for Remchokes is an option, but a bit of a pain. Saiga barrels are tough and require more than a hacksaw to chop (think cutoff wheel). Also, you have to deal with cutting threads in the chrome bore. A gunsmith will probably charge you ~ $100 for this, if he has the equipment and is willing to take the job.

I would hold out for a threaded 19", as it gives you the most muzzle device options.

I believe the 24" version has a fixed Full choke. Chopping the barrel and threading for Remchokes is an option, but a bit of a pain. Saiga barrels are tough and require more than a hacksaw to chop (think cutoff wheel). Also, you have to deal with cutting threads in the chrome bore. A gunsmith will probably charge you ~ $100 for this, if he has the equipment and is willing to take the job.

I would hold out for a threaded 19", as it gives you the most muzzle device options.

+1

Hold out for the 19" if you want a more versatile gun with the least amount of trouble.

No, the 24" model is threaded like the 19", and is not fixed choke of any kind. The 22" guns are fixed full choke but I don't think they are even for sale new anymore, at least I haven't seen them since EAA imported them. I have one in factory camo.

If you do cut a 24" barrel down to 19", you will probably run into cycling issues and have to end up taking the gas block off and enlarging / adding gas ports. I did this when I cut one back to 18" and re-threaded it for factory chokes.

Go and look at this thread. It will help you understand what is involved...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=17824&st=0

And yes you can use a hacksaw to cut the barrel. It works fine. Afterwards it must be trued up and filed smooth or a proper tool used to perform this function. You don't need a lathe or to remove the barrel to do what needs done. You can even re-thread the barrel yourself if you get the proper TAT and die set. I did.

Edited by Cobra 76 two
  • 3 weeks later...
cobra 76 two where did you get the die for rethreading the 12 barrel? i would like to put a tromix brake on it

Look at this post here on this forum,

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=22096

Dinzag is the man when it comes to S-12 do it uorself and tools

Dinzagarms.com

Edited by gmorgan