Saiga 410k-04

Alright I have been hoping to do this for a while, and thanks to Dinzag I was able to get the necessary parts modified to make it happen. (kind of). I modified a RPK RSB to fit the 410, (perfect fit around the barrel), and added the front sight/gas block combo that is featured on the 102/104/105 series rifles along with the HG retainer, both modified by Dinzag. (THANK YOU) He is the man and I cant say enough praise for him, he is awesome to deal with.

Took her out yesterday and she short strokes, but I havent done any gas port mods yet, so I expected that, I just wanted a "control" test to see where we were at.

The port in the barrel is just a bit too far forward to line up with the FS/GB. On mine its drilled at an angle so it does let gas thru, but I am going to have to decide if I should open up the existing port or drill another. Either way, I am psyched, to my knowledge this is the first like it in the US, course, thats meaningless if it wont run, but I have hope.

I know she is rough lookin in the pics, I am waiting to refinish after I get the bugs worked out, but wanted to show y'all what I've been up to. If everything goes well, I will go for an SBS down the road.

post-635-1199746963_thumb.jpg

post-635-1199746988_thumb.jpg

Edited by chris410
Chris, That sounds very exciting but may I suggest that you restate it in simpler terms so that I can understand it. Nice pics though. lenf

Well, comparing my pics to a standard converted .410 will be the best way for you to get a handle on it but this should help too...

RSB=Rear Sight Base --- This is the part behind the gas tube that the rear sight leaf mounts to. A standard s-410 lacks this component, instead having a dovetail integrated with the gas tube into which a sight blade mounts. A standard AK utilizes a rear sight base, but the increased barrel diameter of the 410 would not allow a standard AK RSB to fit, I therefore used a RPK (light machine gun version of AK, with heavy barrel) rear sight base which fit around my barrel nicely but still required some work to the ears to fit into the barrel trunnion of the 410.

FS/GB= Front sight gas block---- On a typical AK variant these would be 2 seperate components, the gas block being the part that channels gas from the port in the barrel up and into the gas tube to cycle the action. The front sight, of course is just that, a front sight that is mounted to the barrel. On the AK-102, 104, 105 and aks-74u (krinkov) variants these two parts were integrated to allow for their shorter barrels and to make sight alignment a bit quicker. I just love the look of these variants and the sight alignment personally. Again though, the increased barrel diameter of the .410 required modification to the parts.

Saiga 410k-04 this is the variant of the S-410 that has the setup of the AK-102,104,105,AKS-74u rifles. Because it is in an "assault" style it is unimportable to the US.

here are some links with photos:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as06-e.htm

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as03-e.htm

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh32-e.htm

Hope this helps

Edited by chris410

Now I see it. I always thought the sights were a weak spot and figured it was just one of those things I'd get used to. I have considered taking an adjustable leaf sight from an older rifle and fitting it into the dovetail and then adding one of those clamp on front sights to lengthen the sight alignment and actually be able to you know, adjust the sight. Thanks for the info and cool pics.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I should have a shop press in next week so I am waiting for that to start experimenting with the gas port.

Dinzag, I'll think I'll take your advice and drill another hole just behind the original one. I figure it shouldnt need too much, as the the blind plug would restrict gas flow in the magnum position and then it would have to drive the floating piston which in turn operates the main piston, this would seem to have a lot of potential for power loss. A direct lane to the main piston should be more efficient and if it seems to be too much I can put a buffer in.

Cobra, thanks buddy, not bad for a guy who was baffled by the protective cage around your soldering iron a while bac, huh? LOL

Chris that looks sweet with that GB/FS, I currently have my GB pressed off to put a modified RSB and a standard FSB (romainian) just need a few more parts to complete it. Good luck with her and keep us posted. :up:

Thanks man, you gonna put a different gas tube/block and HG's on too?

Chris that looks sweet with that GB/FS, I currently have my GB pressed off to put a modified RSB and a standard FSB (romainian) just need a few more parts to complete it. Good luck with her and keep us posted. :up:

Thanks man, you gonna put a different gas tube/block and HG's on too?

Yeah i want to convert my .410 to the traditional look with wood furniture and front and rear sights with a break attached. Trying to model it after Dinzag's .410 (looks awesome)

Dinzag's

post-6703-1200021329_thumb.jpg

AK .410

post-6703-1200021400_thumb.jpg

Edited by Superhawk138
Chris you may be able to add a lug to that one. How long is it from front to back?

I could hang the set screw one I chopped out of a gas block that I used to have on it, but I'll probably be chopping the barrel on the .410 eventually, so I'll just go for authenticity on this one. It'll give me an excuse to build up an AK-103. I sho do luvs me a bayonet!!! Just in case I need to clear some trenches.

Alright I have been hoping to do this for a while, and thanks to Dinzag I was able to get the necessary parts modified to make it happen. (kind of). I modified a RPK RSB to fit the 410, (perfect fit around the barrel), and added the front sight/gas block combo that is featured on the 102/104/105 series rifles along with the HG retainer, both modified by Dinzag. (THANK YOU) He is the man and I cant say enough praise for him, he is awesome to deal with.

Took her out yesterday and she short strokes, but I havent done any gas port mods yet, so I expected that, I just wanted a "control" test to see where we were at.

The port in the barrel is just a bit too far forward to line up with the FS/GB. On mine its drilled at an angle so it does let gas thru, but I am going to have to decide if I should open up the existing port or drill another. Either way, I am psyched, to my knowledge this is the first like it in the US, course, thats meaningless if it wont run, but I have hope.

I know she is rough lookin in the pics, I am waiting to refinish after I get the bugs worked out, but wanted to show y'all what I've been up to. If everything goes well, I will go for an SBS down the road.

Have you got the short stroking worked out yet?

Have you got the short stroking worked out yet?

Still waiting for my shop press to come in, I am hoping it will be here tomorrow. I will keep yall posted for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

HOOOOOOORAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!! :lolol:

Got her cycling slugs and buck fine now, still slightly shortstroking birdshot, soooo close though. I rarely shoot birdshot, so its not really an issue. I drilled a new gas port just behind the original one, to line up with the GB port, in the end it had to be the same size as the first, and evidently slightly larger for the light loads. I will have to open the new port up a bit more sometime down the road. I went and refinished her, I could not wait any longer, it was killin me seeing her all beatup for the past few months.

I had contacted a few (basically all) reputable AK gunsmiths about doing this and all refused it, finally with Dinzags help I was able to tackle the project myself, and now that its all together, I am immensely pleased. Now I just need to get that 100 series folder installed.....

Anyway, here is anther shot, a closeup of the front end, I will try and get some more detail photos tomorrow.

post-635-1203041584_thumb.jpg