http://bc3g.ath.cx/docs/2008/01262008/slide1.jpg

http://bc3g.ath.cx/docs/2008/01262008/slide2.JPG

This stage is tough, any ideas on how to best handle it. I figure that the biggest thing is to not screw around with the Slug targets fire at them if I miss just don't worry about it and move on. 199 seconds sounds like a lot of time but it really is not. Good Glass is needed for sure. This is the make or break stage in the match do poorly on this and your toast.

Ideas or suggestions?

I don't know what C3 is. Assume it means Loaded with chambered round, safety on.

Is Black Creek carry every thing with you for the whole match? Run and crawl? Go through wet stuff (water and goo)?

Are you shooting a AR? Can you use beta mag? Do you have Aimpoint (4 power)? Can you use a bi-pod?

I don't what "semi-prone" means.

You are shooting 80 yards. You have already stated your weakness: 80 yard offhand slug shots. You already know what to do, practice. About 200 rounds of slugs should make you proficient. (Yeow, $100.)

The most important issue is penalties. What are they? 5 seconds per miss? Another 5 seconds for not engaging? 6 shotgun shots .5 seconds each = 3 seconds + 30 seconds penalties would probably be faster than a lot of people. A 4 power scope and a fresh 30 round magazine from each rifle position would allow you to take an extra shot at each target.

Don't over-aim. Get a sight picture, shoot 2 or three shots at each target, don't worry about misses. Start practicing a shooting "cadence"

What are the targets with the X on them (Silhouette looking targets) ??? Are they No-Shoots?

Ok, considering the X's noshoots, that would leave you with 18 rounds of rifle at B, 18rds at C and 10rds at A. (add 4 to B and C if the X'd Silhouettes are actuall Shoots).

I'd Load a 10rd mag with Slugs. 2 30rd mags and one 20rd mag for the rifle (15rds would suffice instead of 20)

Does the B-C plate swing? It looks like it rotates? If that's the case I'd shoot 2 at the B-C plate and 4 at the gong. If the B-C plate stays relatively still I'd shoot 4 at it and 2 at the gong.

The Rifle next. If you have a Hot barrel Zero on your glass I'd hit the B-Cx2, Gongx2, the six targets on the back, then after my barrel was hot, go down the small plates on the right, saving the hostage shot for last (Sounds weird but my rifle is zeroed with a warm/hot barrel. It's cold shot is dead on but low... BUt I'd feel better shooting the big stuff first especially if there is a BIG penalty for hitting the hostage. Then I'd reverse the order on stage C. Why? Because I just shot the hostage taker and if I missed I know precisely where I was off on the last shot, so take the next shot knowing where it's going to go (hopefully). Then the small plates giving you ample time to quick-shot through the 6 ovals in the back and double tap the gong & b-c.

Now that your rifle has a good 40 rds through it, run over to the tombs with the no-shoot poppers. If everything else went well you'll have a few easy shots (10 to be exact). At this point your rifle is nice and warm and will shoot consistently without the worry of the wandering barrel because it's still heating up. It says to shoot from the prone position right? It doesn't say you have to remain prone the entire time, just that you have to shoot prone only. Well here's where it gets tricky. I'd go prone as soon as I could get a clear or largely clear site picture on at least 1 tomb. Then I'd shoot until there aren't any tombs with clear shots, and then I'd get up and move on foot until I could get a shot at the remaining, go prone again and take them out.

I don't shoot competitively, it'd be fun to do it, and you may think I'm nuts for picking that order of targets... the precision shots on the hot barrel? nuts. But all I know is that on my rifle it takes a few shots for it to settle down to the 1.5" group at 100. The first 10 shots could be 4" groups. Also, saving the prone for last means that I'm not getting up and down and moving on my belly early, thus tiring myself out for the rest of the shots including the offhand shots which require more stability and a lower heart rate (imo).

Start with the standing station, move to the semi-prone (which I'm assuming is crouch/kneel behind something you can rest the rifle on (cinderblocks, wood, etc.) then finish at the stage where you can shoot and you only have to hold the rifle, not stand And hold the rifle.

Just a noobs 1/2c worth.

Edited by SaigaNoobie

The problem I have with this stage has partially been solved with the new optic placement on my Siaga, now the slug targets should prove to be no problem I plan to use federal reduced recoil because magnum loads give me some trigger slap and I don't like it.

In the future I will be using my AR-15 not my Saiga x39 that will imporve my hits.

At the Black Creek match you have to have a sub 199 time to even think of doing well, this is the make or break, it may not make you the leader but it will break you if you screw it up.

Thanks for the advice I plan to act on most of it. This month will be a serious attempt to conquer Stage One,

Gunfixr

I think I'm using my scoped AR this time no more screwing around with my Saiga rifle, if I can squeeze some range time in to my schedule I will be there.

Good Luck with your Saiga, better have it sighted in for slugs at 80+ yards.

Well, hopefully I'll see you there. I do, actually, have it sighted at 100 yds with 1 oz. slugs.

But they don't do the 80 yd thing every month, so they might or might not have it this month. If so, I'm about as ready as I can be.