My conversion, and a few new ideas maybe

Want to put this at the top of my post. Always practice/dry fire with a gun/mags that have been triple checked to be empty.

shooter2 wrote:

No problem when time isn't an issue, but doing it under pressure is something else entirely.

Welcome to the world of competitive action shooting:)

Way to work on that at home is with a timer. Get yourself a competition timer with the ability to do PAR times. Most/All can do this. Run ~120 and more $$. Then, set times up for diff exercises. IE. Starting with gun in shooting position, do a reload sholder and (DRY) fire at a spot on the wall. You start at the beep and try to beat the second beep. Move up in complexity from there.

kmoore:

It should be noted that locking in the Saiga-12 mags is only difficult when they are LOADED, as the top round smashes against the closed bolt and is prevented from moving downward by the rest of the cartridge stack. So doing reloading drills with empty mags wouldn't be the same. Action Trainers or other dummy rounds are ideal for this purpose!

My need is to be able to reload quickly and smoothly under the adrenaline dump of a defense situation, without looking at the weapon. Practice will get me halfway there, but the design of the gun itself still makes the process more difficult than it should be. I think a mag guide like Stimp's would take care of the other part of the equation.

As promised:

stimpcatch.jpg

I might go a little taller on the 0.8" measurement, just make sure you have at least 0.8" to the point where you start to round off.

Also, as there may be some variance in the distance from the receiver to the hole in the mag catch (mine was loose on one side and fit well on the other) you might want to leave the 0.1" measurement a little long and file to fit.

Let me know how it goes if anyone tries to make one up please.

Oh, I mentioned it before, but my stimpcatch is 1/4" thickness.

Someone ought to try some delrin or aluminum maybe, I am just used to working with mild steel and have lots of scrap to work with.

It should be noted that locking in the Saiga-12 mags is only difficult when they are LOADED, as the top round smashes against the closed bolt and is prevented from moving downward by the rest of the cartridge stack. So doing reloading drills with empty mags wouldn't be the same. Action Trainers or other dummy rounds are ideal for this purpose!
This is true if you load on a closed bolt. Not a lot of difference loading on open bolt.

If loading on a closed bolt, you could still use live rounds in the mag.

without looking at the weapon

If you can do it reliably, more power to you. When I'm reloading I need more shells fast :) so that's where my eyes go.

Either way, I look foward to getting reports back from the testers of the Stimpcatch®.

BTW, do I need any permissions to use the name of your invention .... lolol

I have sent the drawing to a machinist friend of mine.

He is optimistic we may be able to get some of these cut out on CNC.

I am still planning to get a few betas done, but the house project is chewing up all my spare time...your patience is appreciated guys.

What would you guys consider a fair price for these?

stimpsonjcat,

10 bucks seems pretty reasonable. More than that and folks would likely make their own. Except for folks who don't want to. Charge them $50!!! lololol

How does this affect the mag release. Does it block access from one side?

Edted foor spilling

Edited by kmoore
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, got my Saiga 12 and played with dummy rounds in the mag and I see what everyone means about difficulty in loading full mags with the bolt forward. This device seems to be an amazingly simple (and thus genius) fix to the problem. Stimp, you have Russian blood in you? I ask because it is somethig soo simple that few American engineers would ever consider the concept. If it works good, I want. Sign me up!

and no, I'm not Russian, I just respect simple, functional things like their firearms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...