922r.....someone please check my math

Ok....as i understand 922r, there are 14 qualifying parts on the Saiga rifles....

so....in order to use the surefire 25 round mags, i have to change out one other part to be in compliance. Correct? So if i chose to keep the gun in standard sporter configuration, all i would have to do is put in a US made piston, then i could use either the surefire mags or the original mags without violating the law....correct?

thanks to any and all who double check my math for me!

woohoo!....thanks guys.....that is great i have enough parts to make both my x39 (in conversion) and 308 compliant (the piston i bought for the x39 (and is not needed due to enough other parts) should work nicely here).

Ok....as i understand 922r, there are 14 qualifying parts on the Saiga rifles....

so....in order to use the surefire 25 round mags, i have to change out one other part to be in compliance. Correct? So if i chose to keep the gun in standard sporter configuration, all i would have to do is put in a US made piston, then i could use either the surefire mags or the original mags without violating the law....correct?

Hey, where'd you get your US made piston, anyway?

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but having altered the gun w/ the US piston, I think you wouldn't be complying w/ 922r using your original factory mags, but would be with the Surefire ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but having altered the gun w/ the US piston, I think you wouldn't be complying w/ 922r using your original factory mags, but would be with the Surefire ones.

When you add a gas piston or whatever, it doesn't matter about 922r.

It's when you add "evil features" that the 922r comes into play.

You could get BattleRifleG3 to make you a complete new wooden stock set (just like the factory set), and use it w/o worrying about 922r (even though it's only two pieces).

However, if you got BattleRifleG3 to make you a Kalashnikov style (handguards, buttstock and pistol grip), you'd be taking the Saiga out of its "sporting purposes" setup, and 922r would apply.

Got mine from K-var last summer (it is Arsenal make, marked USA made...so i'm good) , frankly after the birth of my daughter last summer, i had not given conversion any thought and really didn't even remember that i had the part. very happy to have found it though!!!!!

finally finding some time to putter with the guns again....

I have to agree w/ nalioth...just changing a piston s/b ok if you decide to shoot w/ your orig. Russian mags.

It's the guys that want to go 'evil' w/ PG or brakes etc. (lol) that have to be careful on 922r re-inserting their old mags. (3 foriegn parts)....

Congrats on the new one by the way!

thank you sir!....she is just the greatest little to ever happen to me....well...her and her mother anyway....

yep....i think i got everything i need to get the 308 hi-cap legal but still appear completely stock.......perfect!.........i happen to love the sporter configuration......

Thanks for clearing this up for me as far as the evil features and the gas pistons....think I've got 'er figured out now. So not to drift too much here and steal a thread..... but

I was wondering if there's a US made gas piston that doesn't require any modifications (eg drilling, cutting, filing) to fit in my .308?? I've tried to figure this out from various threads and what not, but alas here I am.

Link or part number and manufacturer, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for clearing this up for me as far as the evil features and the gas pistons....think I've got 'er figured out now. So not to drift too much here and steal a thread..... but

I was wondering if there's a US made gas piston that doesn't require any modifications (eg drilling, cutting, filing) to fit in my .308?? I've tried to figure this out from various threads and what not, but alas here I am.

Link or part number and manufacturer, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, the factory crimps in the gas pistons. You'll have to drill them out.

Any US made gas piston will replace it, though.

So, if I got FBMG mags, would I be all right doing the gas piston also?

If all your FBMG mag parts are made in the USA (some have Russian parts), than the gas piston in your .308 Saiga will be sufficient to bring you into compliance.