New to Saiga 12, need some basic info

Hi, I'm new to Saiga and new to this forum. A couple weeks ago (when I first heard of a Saiga 12--see I told you I was new to this) I started looking all over the web for info and where to buy, etc. I found out a lot of good stuff and watched about everything on youtube (I got to have one of those 20 round drums!), even watched a 7 part conversion video and I don't even have a Saiga yet. I will be placing an order as soon as I've figured out exactly which model I want and then I figure I will get the necessary conversions when I feel the need (which I can only guess will be about 10 minutes after I'm done drooling over the new in box Saiga that is in my near future, of course I'll have to wait forever for Tromix to get around to me once I actually get on the waiting list but I'm sure it's worth the wait from what I've been reading)

So here's where I'm confused, what is all this conversion that's going on? With the trigger guards and pistol grips, bolt lock etc, etc? And with the magazine capacity? Basically all the stuff that is converted I don't know what exactly is going on or more importantly, why. I'm not questioning it, I'm just looking to be sold on the idea. Also, what's with the "10 US parts"? Is that some kind of law? What's the difference between the 12 and the 12S? And what's the difference between those and the 12K and 12S EXP-01, is it just barrel length? And the 12S EXP-01, I thought I read about that model having a trigger lock when the stock is folded. So is that the only difference on that one? The Izhmash site has a spec sheet but it doesn't tell me much or I'm reading it wrong.

At this point in my research I think I'd like to get one with the 24" barrel and a folding stock and some kind of good optics. I figure I'll have more fun with the long barrel at the range and in the woods. For home defense and storage the folding stock will come in handy.

Any info is appreciated and thanks for taking the time to help me out. :huh:

As mentioned, check the law compliance section for the parts count stuff.

As for why we do the conversions, I imagine there are a few reasons. One is cool factor. It looks more like an AK than a hunting shotgun afterwards and that's just cool looking. Two, is practicality. I find it much more user friendly after conversion. It's much less long and ungainly. For tactical purposes, such as HD or competition, its user-friendliness improvements make it quicker and more efficient.

Third, the antigunners just hate the AK and anything like it. Screw 'em, that's a good reason right there.

Fourth, many of us just can't use anything we buy without finding some way to improve on it.

Fifth, well, some of us will go to just about any length to make what is ours "unique". There's something about meeting your friends at the range, and when he pulls out his Saiga and says "Look, I got one too," you can say " Yeah, but it's not like mine, mine's custom." Kinda like a penis size comparison without having to go to jail for indecent exposure. :unsure:

I read the 922r forum so now I'm up to speed on the laws. Anybody have the info on what's the difference between the 4 models of Saiga 12's? And do all come with a rifled barrel as an option? I hate buying before I know exactly what's out there. I made the mistake of buying my Mossberg 500 which is parkerized and later I found out about the Marine finish and wished I would've bought that instead. I've found a couple Saiga 12's for sale around the country and am just making sure I buy exactly what I want. Thanks!

i agree with the other posters. if all you want is a shotgun for hunting, the unconverted saiga 12 is a nice semi-auto shotgun. when converted, it becomes a serious tactical-assault weapon. and cool. check out the pics forum for some ideas for customization. originally i said the same thing. i will buy it, use it, and think about conversion later . that lasted for about the 1.5 seconds it took to empty my first 10 round AGP mag. good luck and good shooting. :killer: