Info on Russian Saiga?

I would like to add a Saiga rifle to my collection, but I'm not familiar with them. It seems that there are several advertised that are built at the Izmash factory in Russia, and they appear to be built on AK receivers, both dimpled and non-dimpled. Some with rifle stocks and some with pistol grips.

Any suggestions as to what to stay away from, or recommendations for ones to look for? Are they really "russian" made? I'm guessing they are subject to the same import regs as AK's are?

Thanks for any and all help, opinions, and suggestions....

BTW, any difference in performance on the 223 and the 7.62??

I would like to add a Saiga rifle to my collection, but I'm not familiar with them. It seems that there are several advertised that are built at the Izmash factory in Russia, and they appear to be built on AK receivers, both dimpled and non-dimpled. Some with rifle stocks and some with pistol grips.

Any suggestions as to what to stay away from, or recommendations for ones to look for? Are they really "russian" made? I'm guessing they are subject to the same import regs as AK's are?

How about the 308 instead of the 223 or 7.62. The poor man's M1A.

They are very well built with long lasting chrome lined barrels. Hi cap mags are now fairly easy to obtain.

Edited by saigaboy

They are very well built with long lasting chrome lined barrels. Hi cap mags are now fairly easy to obtain.

I think a .308 will be my next purchase in the near future. Can't beat the price and I have a little refund money coming my way.

I think a .308 will be my next purchase in the near future. Can't beat the price and I have a little refund money coming my way.

I would NOT reccomend buying a 308 saiga. Yes, it is reliable as hell. However there are TWO problems: 1) Accuracy is not that good (receiver is too light for the 308, trigger is not that good, has no gas regulator). 2) Magazines cost $50 a pop.

I went a little different route. I went on gunbroker.com and bought an FN/FAL on Imbel Receiver, with scope, scope mount and 5 magazines. 630 bucks

shipping included.

I suggest you getting a SAIGA in 223 or 7.62x39, but for 308 get a different rifle. For only 250 bucks more then saiga I got scope, mags, and the amount of spare parts for FAL in incredible

D

Thanks guys.... I just mailed off a check for a Izmash saiga (without the dimples) and 10 rd. mag I got on gunbroker. I paid $229 for the rifle new in the box. A good deal I think (plus $25 shipping)....

:smoke:

p.s. it was a 7.62, not 223 or 308

Edited by rangerdavid