Need barrel diameter info

I'm thinking about a build and need some info before gun and parts shopping. I'd like to do a SBR build and I need to know what the diameter of the barrel is at the gas block. Also, can the .223 barrel be threaded 14mm-1.

I'd like to use a Bulgarian 4 peice flash hider and I need the specs to look for either a gas block with threads for the brake, or an adapter.

If you want to throw me a bone on who's had the best prices on a .223, I'll take that too ( ;

In heavy barrel .632 under the GB , light barrel .594 of a inch.

Hey bro both barrel can be threat for 14-1LH this is from a post from Bad BOB

who I think forgot more than I will never know.

Personally, I prefer Gunplumber's FAL 'cookbook' method ( http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/ ). Gunplumber's 'cookbook' is no longer available free online (like it was back in the '90s), but it amounts to this: figure out what your minimum outside barrel diameter should be prior to threading (measuring the OD of your 'thread alignment tool' - TAT - is one way), and then cut flats in the barrel to reduce the barrel OD, using a hand file (or grinder, if you're careful), making the round barrel first a square (with 4 flats & rounded corners), then an octagon (with 8 flats), etc., until you get the OD reduced substantially, to reduce the amount of cutting your die has to do. Works like a charm, if you take your time (some type of caliper to measure barrel OD is definitely useful). I've done seven barrels this way, and the only time I had problems was when I got lazy & tried to skip cutting some of the flats, and tried to cut too much with the die - the KISS Principle definitely applies.

That's what I did, also, although I used a hand file to knock the threads off (the die makes an excellent guide: spin it onto your threads before you start filing the threads nearest the muzzle to reduce the muzzle OD, and the die will keep your cut even, and recut the threads - if needed - when you spin it off). Works great!

Thats the way I have done a lot of stuff but I have added one step, I mark the barrel with a tubing cutter

with a steel wheel to were I want the threats to end, like that I don't file pass that point.

And don't try power tools to make it easier or you can fubar it. I got my self nice files just for it

don't take time at all, just been careful at what you do.

Brother is few that can make things happen and Bad BOB is few of the ones left

that make things happen. I mean hard core builders. No mickey mouse

stuff, off course you are another one :)

of the hard core guys that I have seen around this place.

Good luck.

Edited by vjor

By the way I just off the phone with Chris butler of AK-USA, well we talk for a while

and he way start to make parts for the Saigas and AK rifles hard to find stuff to

customize your gun, If I was you I will give the man a call, cause if you thinking

on a FSGB like the one on my gun, he may start to make those if enough people

will want them, especially if you give him diameters he can make them

to be easy press on the guns. Leave your phone number and he will call back.

Edited by vjor
...Bad BOB who I think forgot more than I will never know.

Actually, Sir, it's the other way around. When it comes to AKs, you've definitely got the experience, and that's what counts...

;>)

...can the .223 barrel be threaded 14mm-1.

I think the answer is 'yes.' (Unfortunately, I had to move to the next State over a few months back, and it looks like I have to move again before the end of April, and all of my barrel threading tools are in a box somewhere in the garage - anybody have a 14x1mm TAT, that can measure the OD of the threaded part? That should give a good indication of a workable barrel OD for threading 14x1mm. Thanks! ;>)

Well, that sets things back some, looks like I need to go gun shopping. Other than barrel diameter, are there any differences between the HB and LB versions.

Also, are there different model # designations to help me I.D. things if I buy on line.

F.W.I.W., this is what I'd like to duplicate (more or less)

post-1866-1204338726_thumb.jpg

Well, that sets things back some, looks like I need to go gun shopping. Other than barrel diameter, are there any differences between the HB and LB versions.

Also, are there different model # designations to help me I.D. things if I buy on line.

F.W.I.W., this is what I'd like to duplicate (more or less)

That is easy, light barrel .223 , Bulgarian FSGB, ultimak hand buard and ultimak rail, do you going

with the Russian style folder or ACE esqueleton stock ?

I will use a light barrel, like that the FSGB dont have to be ream out to install it, plus you may found

a little problem, the Bulgarian FSGB uses only one pin, the front one, if you found a light barrel

it may be with dimples and only one pin the rear one on the GB.

Hope helps any.

The two rifles that I am holding right now, were made in 2006 one is HB and one LB

I don't see any designation on them more than M-03 on both guns.

Edited by vjor
Other than barrel diameter...

FWIW, I tracked down my (incomplete paper) version of Gunplumber's 'cookbook,' and he recommended 0.551" barrel diameter for threading 14mm or 9/16x24. That's what I've used with great success (when I DON'T try short cuts ;>). All other questions I refer to vjor...

;>)

Thanks bob, hey brother look into this muzzle brake. E-Tac man, I think will help a lot with

a short barrel rifle.

Well it keep the barrel steady on line, even in rapid fire, you can pick

targets one after another one, it surprise me a lot on the rapid fire,

you can put a line of targets and move left or right with no muzzle

climbing what so ever and pick a target one after another one.

I was expecting a lot less recoil like complete zero, but still man

recoil was nothing compare to regular gun with out one, even than the

.223 has little recoil, yea man it really surprise me on rapid fire.

The only con was the noise, man people suffer around it in close quarters

but in open I don't see much problem. kind of letting people think you have a bigger

caliber gun.

Thanks for the info., I think I may have fallen into a 16" standard diameter at my local gun shop for $285 + tax. Once I have it in my hands I can start hunting down a gas block. If I get one of the Bulgy's that has the 24mm threaded end, I won't need to do anything but cut and re-crown. If I can find all the parts, the gun pictured is what I'm going for...I think between KVAR and Copes I can come up with everything needed, but it's going to be a bit steep for a F'ing AK build. I've got another AR mag adapter inbound so I guess I'm obligated now (:

Thanks for the info on the Bulgarian block, I wasn't sure if the diameters were workable with a .223, but I'll double check before ordering. By chance do you know if there's any major differences between the AK block vs the Krink? (gas port location or sight heigth).

On that, I dont know you got me there, but the block is shorter that I know.

Call will at red sticks firearms, ask dont hurt. He have play with krinks.

Edited by vjor