Refinishing - Receiver Only?

Just wondering what most do when refinishing. Whole thing, barrel and all, or just the receiver? I'm getting semi-gloss moly resin. My barrel and gas tube seem to be finished well from Saiga. I'm thinking just to tape it off and paint the rear half.

that sounds pretty good,.. to me anyway, unless you want camo or parkerized finish, I have to admit I was thinking about the grey

Just wondering what most do when refinishing. Whole thing, barrel and all, or just the receiver? I'm getting semi-gloss moly resin. My barrel and gas tube seem to be finished well from Saiga. I'm thinking just to tape it off and paint the rear half.

Keep in mind that when using moly resin...most people will heat up the parts before they spray on the finish...if you tape the barrel off...the adhesive from the tape might be perminately attached to the barrel. Sounds like you are going to be using Norrell's Moly Resin?

Once I get my SBS back from Tromix, I will be refinishing in FDE and will remove the Tromix/Lage stock prior to refinishing.

Keep in mind that when using moly resin...most people will heat up the parts before they spray on the finish...if you tape the barrel off...the adhesive from the tape might be perminately attached to the barrel. Sounds like you are going to be using Norrell's Moly Resin?

Once I get my SBS back from Tromix, I will be refinishing in FDE and will remove the Tromix/Lage stock prior to refinishing.

Maybe use mylar tape that powdercoaters use, it will withstand 300 - 350 with no problem

to use Moly Resin you only need to pre heat to 100* so you get no drips ,runs or errors . apply in thin coats til you reach your desired thickness, re-heat as nesscary, pull the tape ,suspend and bake. it is real easy

If use regular tape make sure it's professional painters tape to eleviate the adhesive residue

Cheap tape is BAD NEWS :cryss:

Yes, I ordered Norrell's. I have the blue 3M painters tape, is that good enough, or should I get the mylar stuff? I know even with the blue stuff if you leave it on for too long, it can become a bear to get off. I'd worry about it in the oven, maybe need to do a test piece! Where to get that mylar stuff? Is that special order or would hardware stores have it?

Yes, I ordered Norrell's. I have the blue 3M painters tape, is that good enough, or should I get the mylar stuff? I know even with the blue stuff if you leave it on for too long, it can become a bear to get off. I'd worry about it in the oven, maybe need to do a test piece! Where to get that mylar stuff? Is that special order or would hardware stores have it?

3m blue painters tape is good

do a test piece....look for any adhesive residue

mylar is specialized...google it

3m blue painters tape is good

do a test piece....look for any adhesive residue

mylar is specialized...google it

Honestly, if your going to refinish the receiver I would certainly do the whole thing... A little more sandblasting and youll have it.. You have to put the whole thing in the oven anyhow... Even a good paint job from the factory will be far less in quality and durability compared to the molyresin... I used the Grey on an AK of mine and it turned out to my likeing.. The subtle contrast with the black poly stock is cosmeticly pleasing to me.. :) Have fun..

```Gary