What is the single cheapest/easiest mod for 992R compliance?

Saiga Newbie here -

After months of deliberating - I just picked up a Saiga in 7.62x39 and a couple of Surefire Magazines. It's my understanding that the mags count as three US parts, and that I need to do one more US part in order to be in compliance. What is the single cheapest/easiest mod to make to satisfy this requirement?

Thanks!

I would say that if you want to only achieve minimal 922r compliance, replacing the disconenctor or the gas piston would be the easiest way to go. Both can be accomplished without any serious cutting on the rifle. Although, the sheps crook can drive you bonkers if you aren't used to playing with it.

There is no disconnector in a Saiga and the gas piston is a PIB. In the case of the Saiga, cheapest is not the easiest. I suspect you will find that the easiest is to get one of the modified Tapco T6 stocks from saigastock.com and use Master Moulder or Shurefire mags. this would replace 4 foreign-made parts and add 1 us-made part (the PG). The stock is $99.00 + S&H, plus the mags

The cheapest way I've found so far is to buy from someone like On Point and do the full conversion. The T6 stock, SAW grip and G2 FCG, shipped were ~$95.00 and with the conversion, I can use any mag I want. You will need to install a bullet guide to use AK mags, but you can use the Master Moulder mags ($11.00) with out one. This way you get a much better trigger and better balanced rifle. I did the work in my garage w/ hand tools (drill and dremel). You will be much happier w/ the full conversion.

There is no disconnector in a Saiga...

Uh, yeah, there is a disco in there.

Take the top cover off of your Saiga. Cock it. ***MAKE SURE IT'S EMPTY*** Pull the trigger and keep it all the way to the reat. Re-cock the weapon.

The hammer is now held by the Disco. It's a little hook like piece of metal at the rear of the trigger assembly. It is one of the three 922r listed parts of your Fire Control Group.

There is no disconnector in a Saiga...

Uh, yeah, there is a disco in there.

Take the top cover off of your Saiga. Cock it. ***MAKE SURE IT'S EMPTY*** Pull the trigger and keep it all the way to the reat. Re-cock the weapon.

The hammer is now held by the Disco. It's a little hook like piece of metal at the rear of the trigger assembly. It is one of the three 922r listed parts of your Fire Control Group.

My bad, I was thinking Op Rod (or I wasn't thinking. . .). Have you thought about using one of the trigger groups either Dinzag or Cobra mod to work in the unconverted Saiga? That and the mag would take care of 922r compliance and the trigger would be a lot better.

The Tapco disconnector is clearly marked, so the proof is there, I'd just make sure the first time I fired the rifle w/ the new disconnector that I only had 2 or 3 rounds in the mag in case the disco didn't work correctly. . .

Saiga Newbie here -

After months of deliberating - I just picked up a Saiga in 7.62x39 and a couple of Surefire Magazines. It's my understanding that the mags count as three US parts, and that I need to do one more US part in order to be in compliance. What is the single cheapest/easiest mod to make to satisfy this requirement?

Thanks!

The Tapco Modified stock from Saigastock.com will run you $99. Master Molder mags are about 1/3 the price of the Surefires (I paid $11.99 for mine from cdnn), and they work just as well, all you have to do with them is file a few millimeters off of the tang on the back of the mag and they lock right in. You can be 922r compliant with no gunsmithing for about $120, including shipping.

post-6358-1205212127_thumb.jpg[

Edited by soberups
Saiga Newbie here -

Thanks!

The Tapco Modified stock from Saigastock.com will run you $99. Master Molder mags are about 1/3 the price of the Surefires (I paid $11.99 for mine from cdnn), and they work just as well, all you have to do with them is file a few millimeters off of the tang on the back of the mag and they lock right in. You can be 922r compliant with no gunsmithing for about $120, including shipping.

Do you have to do anything else to get the master molder mags to work? Do you have to do the feed ramp mod? I would like to pick up some, but don't want to do something that would render my surefire mags unusable.

Also - do you have anymore pics of the stock mounted? How do you like it? Good fit?

thx-c

Saiga Newbie here -

Thanks!

This is cheap, and about 3 hours. Legal with American made mag's.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry204810

Saiga Newbie here -

Thanks!

Do you have to do anything else to get the master molder mags to work? Do you have to do the feed ramp mod? I would like to pick up some, but don't want to do something that would render my surefire mags unusable.

Also - do you have anymore pics of the stock mounted? How do you like it? Good fit?

thx-c

The Master Molder mags work just fine without a feed ramp, they have some material on the front of the mag that acts as a bullet guide. They are almost identical to the factory 10 round mag. Once you shave a couple mm's of plastic off the back tang, they are good to go. I originally bought one to make sure that it would work, and having run about 200 rounds thru it with no failures I went ahead and bought 3 more.

I really like the Tapco stock. I'm a big guy and I need a fairly long length of pull, so the adjustability is a plus. By way of comparison, a standard WASR-10 stock is so short as to render the gun useless to me. I will try to get some more pics, but all I have for a camera is my cell phone.

Edited by soberups