Do you have any posts of the scopes you had on them? You had a post thread about a Krebs ?? scope? or something like that.

I had a Leapers 3-9x40 on the Saiga, and a Russian 8x40 POSP on the PSL. I broke it on my hunting trip, but I just bought an identical replacement and it arrived today. Here's a picture of both rifles with scopes (the Saiga is from before I got the wooden handguards):

BabyDragun.jpg

RomakScope.jpg

What broke my original scope was the rifle fell off my shoulder when I fell in rough terrain. It fell butt-down and hit a rock scope-first, right on the eyebell. It bent the tube right at the zoom adjustment. Keep in mind that this rifle exceeded 10 pounds as equipped, and took a VERY hard fall. I can't really fault the scope for not surviving that. It was a $60 scope, but even a $120 scope probably wouldn't have survived. The glass survived, I might add. The lens caps did their job to protect the glass. Just it would never hold zero again with a bent tube.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are few pics of my finally completed Dragunov replica. It took me a while to complete it due to extensive mods to the the wood. I also had to wait a while for the flash hider and scope. I did eve

Posted Images

Turbo,

Now that you have a Bitching rifle, how does it shoot? You get the Saiga star of the day for your work on the 308Saiganov.

Thanks. I finished it over a year ago and still have not fired it once. I'm not sure if I want to. I may buy another Saiga and use it as a shooter or buy a Romak III/PSL and shoot it.

BTW - I like how your .223 is coming out. Maybe I'll do something like that.

turbo mike, excellent job on your shooter!

Quick question... in your before picture the butt stock doesn't have the red colored wood pinky extension, but the final does. Did you make that part or buy it somewhere? If you bought it, where if you made it, could I buy one off of you? I have a similar stock, but no extension on it and I kind of suck working with wood.

post-7166-1240380019.png

Thanks. I actually bought the stock from a local gun show. It already had the extension on it. I only removed it so it wouldn't get damaged while I sanded and worked on the stock.

Turbo,

Now that you have a Bitching rifle, how does it shoot? You get the Saiga star of the day for your work on the 308Saiganov.

Thanks. I finished it over a year ago and still have not fired it once. I'm not sure if I want to. I may buy another Saiga and use it as a shooter or buy a Romak III/PSL and shoot it.

BTW - I like how your .223 is coming out. Maybe I'll do something like that.

Turbo,

I was going to put the Saiga skeleton stock on (which I still have) and knew I didn't want to be stuck with the poor stock trigger. I saw the photos of Mike the Wolf and liked that better. I found the stock at a Fun Show (gun show) for $20. I did the convertion with a Tapco single hook FCG and fit the WASR stock on. I had seen .308 Saiga's with this setup (better choice for a Saiganov) but due to the fact I had .223 and the cost of the rifle, ammo and the how hard it is to find ammo made my mind up for me (I will shoot more Marmots and Prairie Dogs than Elk) .223 will handle Zombies as well.

The next stop is the hand guard and muzzle brake. I'll post the changes. I sure like Mike the Wolf and your rifles as well. My factory certificate states 84mm group size so this should be a good one. Besides, .223 is just plain fun to shoot.

Frosty

My Saiga was certified at 93mm. I got it shooting around 2 1/4 inch groups with Black Hills factory reloads. Probably could do better if I shot the more expensive ammo. Honestly, these stocks really make for a better gun, whether you use it as a battle rifle or hunting rifle. I can flip my gun to my shoulder and look down the iron sights in record time with that cheek weld. I seriously doubt I could do that with a standard AK-47 stock.

By the way, Cheaper Than Dirt has highly-rated Leapers assault rifle cases in stock. They have them in sizes that will fit a converted Saiga or PSL with the scope attached. Short of attempting to source a Russian SVD case, these look like the best choice.

By the way, I have posted and asked the proprietor of SovietArmyStuff.com if he can acquire SVD cases, and told him there would definitely be a market for them. The Russians made an SVD case that could, in fact, hold the entire rifle with scope attached. I've seen it. The problem is getting hold of the darn thing. I've only ever seen one person who had it advertised, and he didn't have Internet checkout or his current inventory on his site. He no longer had them by the time I contacted him.

• 1 year later...