Saiga 12 bolt carrier channel peening

A friend and I bought new Saiga 12 shotguns and he got to shoot his the other day. He only put 5 rounds through it and when he was cleaning it he noticed that there was peening of the bolt carrier channel where the lug on the bolt rides. The damage was to the back side of the channel to the front of the carrier. When you hold the carrier upside down it is the dog leg to the right. The bolt lug has no peening.

This area would be impacted when the bolt starts to close. Its as if the bolt's lug impacts the flat area of the channel before the bolt starts to rotate into battery. My AK in 7.62x39 has a smaller flat area before the channel slopes back and has no wear at all.

I looked at my unfired Saiga 12 and it has some minor peening in the same area. Probably from letting the carrier/bolt slide home on an empty chamber.

Has anyone else seen this before? does it cause problems? Should I machine the shelf at an angle to smooth the transition to rotating the bolt?

I really want to shoot the new toy!! Just don't want to create some problem if the carrier wasn't heat treated right (or something)

This is a picture of my bolt carrier that has not been fired. The peening is small but surprising that there is anything at all. You have to look for the white spot that is bare steel in the center of the photo. The rest of the carrier is black.

No luck getting pictures of my friends carrier yet.

post-10267-1205328414_thumb.jpg

Edited by sw44
This is a picture of my bolt carrier that has not been fired. The peening is small but surprising that there is anything at all. You have to look for the white spot that is bare steel in the center of the photo. The rest of the carrier is black.

No luck getting pictures of my friends carrier yet.

I'll have to look at that part when I get home. It looks like the bolt is getting hung up in that channel in your pic preventing it from rotating. Looks like the top of that channel got milled out too far forward.

Will somebody please post a picture of what a healthy bolt channel is supposed to look like?

Edited by hobbyshooter

I am leaning towards cutting the corner back so that the bolt lug is hitting an angled channel when the bolt closes. The earlier recommendation to use Kasenit to case harden the surface also sounds like a good idea. (Unfortunately Brownells is out of stock)

Thanks everyone. I will keep checking the thread for new info anyone has.

My bolt carrier looks fine. A little bit of a shiny spot but no wear. Mine is from the rear part of the bolt and it's channel that I've posted pics of above. I think something (I can't tell what yet) scared that corner, and the mash of the corner is what scared the back of the ear on my bolt.

I'm not sure what to do about it yet either. I guess I'll take a file to the mash of the channel corner, but I really wanted to talk to RAAC first (no phone answer, no email answer yet).

I'll update when I can.

You can probably fix the problem.

I could fix the problem.

The funny thing about this problem is that it hasn't affected feed or eject at all. When I pull the lever back manually I notice it hang a little, but based on the responses to whatmanual's thread a few weeks back everybody said that was normal so I just kept shooting.

Edited by hobbyshooter

I have taken the plunge to fix the interferance that seems to be causing the problem. I used a cut off wheel in my flex shaft dremmel tool to cut the channel in the bolt carrier back about 1/8". Now when the bolt goes to close, the bolt lug flows smoothly down the channel without banging against the "shelf" first. Hopefully no banging no peening. The bolt still fully rotates on closing. The action closes without the hitch like before. I only feel a little resistance when the extractor compresses.

Can't wait to try it out. :super:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar peening problem, only on the receiver lug.

looking down at the gun, with the receiver cover off, the tip of the right receiver lug is wearing on the top.

the carrier looks, fine, but a notch has worn off the front of the lug. I have had this shotgun for 2 years and have never seen it before. should i be worried?

I will try and get some pics, but I dont own a digital camera.