tap for bullet guide

OK - so i posted before that im an idiot and i seem to have broken off the tip of the tap in the hole i drilled in the trunion. Once i figure out how to get the fkin thing out (im gunna try to break it with a punch, as Leo@VKA suggested), i am going to need to get another tap. Does anyone know what kind of tap the screw from Dinzags kit requires?

Also, i found it was very hard to use pliers or a wrench to hold/twist the tap in because the rest of the gun got in the way. does anyone have any tricks for doing this?

Thanks for any advice

OK - so i posted before that im an idiot and i seem to have broken off the tip of the tap in the hole i drilled in the trunion. Once i figure out how to get the fkin thing out (im gunna try to break it with a punch, as Leo@VKA suggested), i am going to need to get another tap. Does anyone know what kind of tap the screw from Dinzags kit requires?

Also, i found it was very hard to use pliers or a wrench to hold/twist the tap in because the rest of the gun got in the way. does anyone have any tricks for doing this?

Thanks for any advice

I don't know off hand what size tap it is...you might check his site or PM him.

As for how to hold the tap, you can get a tap wrench cheap at just about any hardware store. That's the way to go.

Good luck

Thanks for any advice

'NYC.DenseCity',

Dinzag normally sends out 6/32 drill bits and taps. When I messed up my bullet guide hole he had me use a 8/32 drill and tap.

This could be your backup plan if removing the tap really really wrecks the current hole you have.

louielouie

T handle for the Tap, get it on any hardware store, if you fubar a 6-32 tap job, go to 8-32.

The biggest I have gone is 10-32 on a bullet guide. tap and drill bit cost about 6 bucks.

thats how i broke it

Yikes!

Taps are easy enough to break by hand.... I should know :ded:

I recently broke a 6-32 tap doing the same operation.... cept I went by hand with a tap wrench and oil.... can't tell you how it broke...

The threads MAY be salvagable depending on how lucky you are chipping it out with a punch... I recomend one of those spring loaded automatic center punches. That trick worked like a charm (thanks Dinzag on the tip :) )

Mine were too FUBAR so re-drilled the hole to 8-32 and opted to use a longer 6-32 hardware and securing with a nut.

-I didn't want to attempt tapping again and risk another breakage. If it holds it will stay that way, or I may tap it in the future.

thats how i broke it

Yikes!

Taps are easy enough to break by hand.... I should know :ded:

I recently broke a 6-32 tap doing the same operation.... cept I went by hand with a tap wrench and oil.... can't tell you how it broke...

The threads MAY be salvagable depending on how lucky you are chipping it out with a punch... I recomend one of those spring loaded automatic center punches. That trick worked like a charm (thanks Dinzag on the tip :) )

Mine were too FUBAR so re-drilled the hole to 8-32 and opted to use a longer 6-32 hardware and securing with a nut.

-I didn't want to attempt tapping again and risk another breakage. If it holds it will stay that way, or I may tap it in the future.

Thanks for the advice, i will try both this weekend. lets see if i dont fk things up further.