Point of aim question

Today I took my s308 to the range for the second time. It is still 100% stock, no scope. I was shooting Lithuanian surplus 150 grain fmj.

I have gotten the point of aim pretty well sorted out, and I find that it shoots high at 100 yards. If I put the front sight dead on the target, it ends up around a foot high. The point of impact is actually closer to centered between the two prongs than a "dot the I" aim point.

Is this normal? I have the sight set all the way back on the 100 meter notch. Is there any way to get more of a dead on aim point?

I figured out what that "mystery paddle" in the cleaning kit was after reading your post last night :rolleyes:

Thanks again. I've got it raised up to where the aim point was from memory, and with some tweaking at my next range trip, I should be good to go.

I just ordered a mojo peep rear sight. It has both windage and elevation. At the range today it was a headache making sure that the front post was perfectly centered in the notch, and decided to get a better sight. I did get the elevation dialed in and was shooting some decent groups. Turns out my adjustment last night was pretty nearly perfect. I lowered it a quarter turn from that.

I figured out what that "mystery paddle" in the cleaning kit was after reading your post last night

The "mystery paddle" can also be used as a T-handle screwdriver by inserting the mystery paddle perpendicularly through the large slit in the side of the cleaning kit tube so the front sight adjuster end locks into the smaller hole on the opposite side of the tube.

I just ordered a mojo peep rear sight. It has both windage and elevation. At the range today it was a headache making sure that the front post was perfectly centered in the notch, and decided to get a better sight. I did get the elevation dialed in and was shooting some decent groups. Turns out my adjustment last night was pretty nearly perfect. I lowered it a quarter turn from that.

A mojo?

That's disheartening...

I have one installed as well.... haven't been to the range yet to use it.

On a side note.... don't be too surprised to find that your Front Sight Base (FSB) is slightly "canted" one way or another. Mine was canted slightly to the right and I had my front sight post against the "ear" on the base. I fixed that when I moved the FSB back (and threaded the barrel). Dinzag is a great resource in fixing this (if this turns out to be a problem) - even if you aren't threading your muzzle or moving your FSB back...

Also - I eliminated the Saiga rear sight all together (just forward of the receiver) and went with something more like a Galil sight set-up. Increased my sight radius by something like 15"..... Works really well!

Macbeau sends...

post-1473-1205795287_thumb.jpg