Apples and oranges.

Nothing involving the Saiga conversion will help you with the kit build.

Nothing involving the kit build will help you with the Saiga conversion.

Both will give you some basic familiarity with the Kalashnikov platform (the kit build a bit more than the conversion).

+1 to nalioth's comment. The only thing I can add is if you want a specific model, build a kit. If you want a good AK without a lot of the tools and research involved with building a kit, do a Saiga conversion. If you don't have experience with AK's, I'd go with the Saiga conversion just due to the simplicity and the fact that it's a solid platform to build from.

I'm just your average Joe Home Improvment guy. I have had a little experience in working with sheet metal and have a boat load of hand tools. The Saiga conversion was great for me. I picked up some extra drill bits, grinder drill bit, dremmel tool, loctite, center punch and I was ready to go. Working over one weekend the conversion can be completed and it works well. For the average "tinker-er" I would suggest the Saiga conversion. You get a high quality AK with relatively little work.

Apples and oranges.

Both will give you some basic familiarity with the Kalashnikov platform (the kit build a bit more than the conversion).

I disagree that building an AK will not help in the conversion. I built a Yugo AK and learned how to put together the FCG which I took when converting my Saiga. Building the Yugo also gave me confidence to convert the Saiga.

Apples and oranges.

I disagree that building an AK will not help in the conversion. I built a Yugo AK and learned how to put together the FCG which I took when converting my Saiga. Building the Yugo also gave me confidence to convert the Saiga.

Thanx for another viewpoint

HarvKY