I test fitted my UTG quadrail on my saiga (I'm waiting on payday to get dinzag lower retainer) and it feels very secure. Almost like the retainer isn't necessary. Has anyone else used the quadrail without a retainer? I'm thinking I might put some rounds down range without it. I still plan on getting the retainer, but it would be nice to save the extra $80 for something else if it's not actually necessary.

I test fitted my UTG quadrail on my saiga (I'm waiting on payday to get dinzag lower retainer) and it feels very secure. Almost like the retainer isn't necessary. Has anyone else used the quadrail without a retainer? I'm thinking I might put some rounds down range without it. I still plan on getting the retainer, but it would be nice to save the extra $80 for something else if it's not actually necessary.

I'm guessing it will loosen up with a few shots, and I'd personally spring for the retainer. Let us know how it holds up though without it.

god damn those look great, and at a decent price too, did you get a new gas tube? or will they work with the stock ones

(new gas tube is next inline) next week im gonna shoot dinzag an e-mail to see if he has more of those ported ones instock.

I used the stock gas tube. I pulled the shroud off of it and it fit snug. Not tight, but snug. After I tightened it to the base it eliminated all play. I'm sure I can over tighten it, but I'm going to try not to do that.

22_Shooter, I believe it's going to loosen up as well. I'm planning on getting the retainer, but the budget for this pay period has been spent. I'm going to rack through a couple of magazines this weekend (weather permitting) to see how it goes, and I will report back. I'm hoping for the best, but not getting my hopes up too high.

I've been shooting twice a week with a UTG 479 on my 7.62x39 with no retainer and had no problem .

As you said , make sure not to over tighten at the receiver side , it'll pull hard on the gas tube .

And i have a harris bipod on the rail and use it all the time , stable and never gets loose (rail or bipod)

and no sliding .

I've been shooting twice a week with a UTG 479 on my 7.62x39 with no retainer and had no problem .

As you said , make sure not to over tighten at the receiver side , it'll pull hard on the gas tube .

And i have a harris bipod on the rail and use it all the time , stable and never gets loose (rail or bipod)

and no sliding .

Hey #74.....with you installing the UTG 479....did you have the pull the shroud off the gas tube as all say is done with the UTG 478. I'm thinking that since the 479 is for a larger barrel....you didnt have to pull it??

And I too am wanting to add this HG....either the 478 or 479....but I would rather not have to get the retainer if its not necessary....so I'm anxious to get a follow-up to the shooting.....I know you've reported no problems....still holding firm??

Thanks!

Mayday

Mayday, you may want to disregard my PM. Based off what #74 said I may hold off on ordering the retainer. I was only able to fire 30 rounds with it before I got pulled away to do some work around the house. In those 30 rounds, which I know isn't much, it did not loosen at all as far as I can tell. I have a floating scope on it which held it's location as far as I can tell as well. I wasn't shooting at a target so I can't say for sure, but it looks to me like the rounds stayed in close to each other on the log I was shooting at. I have not adjusted the hand guard at all since firing it, so I'll leave it as is and continue to plink away. If I run into any issues I'll be sure to update this thread.

#74 - How many rounds do you have down range with the setup? Like I said, I only have 30 through it as is, but I will be running more as soon as I can get back out to test it. If you've run a ton more it might make others (including me) feel more comfortable.

-V

I'm using the 479 and it works great . Got around 1500 round on it and most of those using my bipod mounted on the lower rail . Never had to

adjust or retighten anything . Everything seats good (good large contact area on all the parts). The front screws are all the way in tight but not the back .

I have about 1 mm of play between the 2 rails in the back , didn't want to tighten to much there . You'll feel the tension on the screws when you mount it .

I'll try to post some pictures later .

Is the 308 barrel much larger the 7.62 ? they're both 7.62 after all . Never had a 308 taken apart in my hands yet but a friend of mine has one , could do a clean up day with him and try my rail on his 308 if your willing to wait a few days .

Hey #74...thx for the PM....and the pics.

Just ordered my 478 and I cant wait until I get it.....ordered a UTG foregrip and a red dot to ride on top......its beginning to feel alot like xmas around here :xmas: LOL!!

This should just about take care of me for a while.....now I need more ammo.

Mayday