Any ideas for ipsc chest rig ?

Ok so im awaiting 2 Etac saiga builds for use in Ipsc competitions & am now thinking of making a chest rig to hold 4 mags, i need them to face forward & held by some clamp/clip so its just a case of pull forward & up into gun.Has any one built such a speed rig ??

You really ought to check out the vestguy, he is in the vendors section, He has created some impressive gear. I intend to have him build me a few items once I have my conversions squared away. Send him a message with what your looking for.

I thought of the exact set up but haven't pursued it yet. Picked up a drop leg pouch from the TheVestGuy for the time being but believe a vest with the velcro is the way to go. Prices for vests from Eagle and Blackhawk are a bit steep. Chest rig might be the best bet and The Vest Guy will custom build.

http://thevestguy.com/category.asp?id=154

You could probably fit three across the front of one of these without the pouches. What do you think.......chest rig with just smooth velcro across the front and the hooks on the mags?

Edited by ajackb

Open topped pouches with the mags shells up are the way to go. With a velcro only rig, I'd worry about the mags falling off on stages with more physical activity.

Here's some video from the local match this past weekend; http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/Saiga-4-12-08.WMV

...the second stage had 3 targets that were required to be shot from the hip at the start. But anyway that gives you an idea how fast it can be with the flaps tucked back behind the mags. Locking the bolt open for consistent reloads is most of the time I spend reloading.

I recommend Coyote Tactical for your custom saiga pouches.

Edited by SinistralRifleman
Open topped pouches with the mags shells up are the way to go. With a velcro only rig, I'd worry about the mags falling off on stages with more physical activity.

Here's some video from the local match this past weekend; http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/Saiga-4-12-08.WMV

...the second stage had 3 targets that were required to be shot from the hip at the start. But anyway that gives you an idea how fast it can be with the flaps tucked back behind the mags. Locking the bolt open for consistent reloads is most of the time I spend reloading.

I recommend Coyote Tactical for your custom saiga pouches.

I'll take a look at Coyote Tactical but I had a bit of communication with Robert at The Vest Guy today about modifying one of his chest rigs. We're down to three mags held vertically in a short pocket at the bottom of the rig with the top held in place by velcro. Most of the weight could be supported by the pocket but still allow the mag to be ripped of the chest. Also moved the smooth part of the velcro to the mag for easier handling.

I'm left handed also and don't lock the bolt open but use my left hand to come over the top and hold the bolt back while the right hand reloads. I also mounted my optic on a rail over the gas tube to get out of the way of my manipulating the bolt with my left hand. 3G this weekend : )

You could take a look at the military MOLLE vests. They are adapatable enough for our troops.

You could get various military pouches, or have custom pouches made to interlace thru the MOLLE straps at whatever location you choose

and/or you could sew the velcro strips along each webbing strap of the vest (that way you could just stick them on at whatever odd angle fits you best speed wise).

Then you could use the vest for competition as well as set it up with other pouches for different activities, etc.

Here is just one link I came up with when I typed in "MOLLE II vest" (there is the regular MOLLE edition and then the newer MOLLE II stuff)

Also, its made in OD, Woodland, Desert, etc colors..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Molle-II-Enhanced-Tact...1QQcmdZViewItem

Best of luck

HarvKY

HarvKY - thanks for the link. Prices almost look to good to be true but I'll take a chance and check it out.

Robert aka TheVestGuy also responded that he could do a custom chest rig for about $45 shipped. Also not a bad plan.

Edited by ajackb