Trigger hole ?'s

As you may have read my previous post about ordering my Saiga, I am planning on converting it. Does the dimpled receiver have the trigger hole in the forward posistion or will I have to cut that also when I do the PG conversion? If so I'm not sure I'm up for that and go for one of the conversions that uses the PG and collapsible stock from tapco that leaves the trigger guard in the stock location.

As you may have read my previous post about ordering my Saiga, I am planning on converting it. Does the dimpled receiver have the trigger hole in the forward posistion or will I have to cut that also when I do the PG conversion? If so I'm not sure I'm up for that and go for one of the conversions that uses the PG and collapsible stock from tapco that leaves the trigger guard in the stock location.

Yes the trigger hole is in place but it seems that the dimpled 7.62x39 do not have the pistol grip nut hole precut though.

Yes the trigger hole is in place but it seems that the dimpled 7.62x39 do not have the pistol grip nut hole precut though.

Yea. mine did not have the PG hole cut, so plan on measuring that out, and don't use cheap drill bits ;)

+1, dimpled, w/ trigger hole, but no PG hole.

Has anyone ever gotten a x39 Saiga with no Trigger hole? From the looks of the stock FCG I dont see how that could work. The trigger pin that holds the stock "lever" is so low that the bottom of the lever was actually travel lower than the floor of the receiver so it was sitting in the trigger hole...

edit---

for cutting the hole I used drill bit(hole in each corner then a big on in the center), dremel to cut away as much as possible, then a small triangle file to finish it off. I used the measurements from the popular saiga conversion website as a guide but measured the actual PG nut I bought for the hole. It ended up being more rectangular than the diagram

Edited by jamesavery22

Thanks guys for all the replies. You guys and this site rock, lots of info and everyone so far has been quick to answer my questions, and is being patient with me and my lack of knowledge of these awesome weapons. When I was in the Army I worked in the weapons supply warehouse for a while. I handed out the weapons for new recruit training(range rifles) and took them back in at night when they were done and had to disassemble, clean, and the reassemble them so I did know my way around the M-16's fairly well but that has been over 26 years ago. I have not touched a rifle since then except for my old Marlin .22 mag semi auto, and that has not been to often. I have always had an urge to get a new rifle and with the price of the Saiga and their attributed toughness I figured now was a good time. So thanks again for all the answers.

Edited by theDuke

Awesome blueprints, thanks for sharing this info, I know it will come in handy when the time comes to convert mine. By the way where in the hell is mine ? I was hoping I would get a call today from my buddy saying it had arrived and to come over and get it , but no such luck.

Awesome blueprints, thanks for sharing this info, I know it will come in handy when the time comes to convert mine. By the way where in the hell is mine ? I was hoping I would get a call today from my buddy saying it had arrived and to come over and get it , but no such luck.

Maybe the black beauty struck him just right and he's out shooting it..... ^_^

'theDuke'

DON'T USE A TEMPLATE. I TOOK THE TEMPLATE THAT WAS ONLINE AND MADE IT THE CORRECT SIZE ON MY COMPUTER AND THEN PRINTED IT TO ADHESIVE BACKED PAPER.

I COPIED IT, CUT OUT THE TEMPLATE AND PUT IT ON MY RECEIVER. I THEN STARTED MY PISTOL GRIP HOLE.

IT DIDN'T LOOK QUITE RIGHT.

SOMEHOW MY SIZES GOT MIXED UP AND I WAS 1/2 INCH OFF. WHEN I CUT THE CORRECT SIZE, IT WAS UP AGAINST THE OTHER HOLE AND I HAD A REAL MESS.

I HAD TO ADD A PISTOL GRIP RE-ENFORCEMENT PLATE TO MAKE IT STRONGER.

LOUIELOUIE

Funny you should say that. About 5:30 I got a call from my buddy saying my Saiga had arrived. When I went to pay him and fill out all the paper work, he said "that's a nice looking rifle let me know how it shoots". He has always been an AR guy, has had several of them from different manufacturers. I told him I'll let you shoot it and you can see for yourself he said sounds good. louielouie thanks for the heads up. So are you saying the measurements are wrong or just not to blow it up and use the template ? I don't want to make any mistakes doing the conversion so I want to be crystal clear. Mine is dimpled but without the Y stamp also as someone else posted( I think it was CheepJerokee). I did pull the receiver cover off and check for the PG hole, I can't see one there but the trigger hole is there like you guys said it should be. So let the games begin, after I order some parts that is. I hope you guys don't get tired of me asking questions, cause I'm sure I'm going to have a few. Thanks,theDuke.

The Duke,

The measurements shown in the template in the conversion topic are correct.

One easy way to check is to measure from the rear of the receiver to the new trigger hole (seems to always be cut and waiting under the trigger plate), even if you have a dimpled receiver with X.

Before you start cutting (after you have determined where the pistol grip hole goes) STOP and measure one more time. You already know why.

louielouie

Funny you should say that. About 5:30 I got a call from my buddy saying my Saiga had arrived. When I went to pay him and fill out all the paper work, he said "that's a nice looking rifle let me know how it shoots". He has always been an AR guy, has had several of them from different manufacturers. I told him I'll let you shoot it and you can see for yourself he said sounds good. louielouie thanks for the heads up. So are you saying the measurements are wrong or just not to blow it up and use the template ? I don't want to make any mistakes doing the conversion so I want to be crystal clear. Mine is dimpled but without the Y stamp also as someone else posted( I think it was CheepJerokee). I did pull the receiver cover off and check for the PG hole, I can't see one there but the trigger hole is there like you guys said it should be. So let the games begin, after I order some parts that is. I hope you guys don't get tired of me asking questions, cause I'm sure I'm going to have a few. Thanks,theDuke.

Thanks for the clarification, took it apart yesterday to clean it but it was very clean to start with. I also cleaned all my other weapons as well. I can't wait to get started on converting it. I need to order the parts and some ammo then the fun begins.