IM BACK!!! AND NOBODY REMEMBERS ME!

Just wanted to come back out of my shell once again and actually DO a post, you know like i did every day when i first joined with all of my noobert goober questions. "Whats the deal with the "1" and "2" on that spinney thing on the front?" :rolleyes:

First off, I'd like to report that my saiga has tried to shake off my HALO like man's best friend shakes off H2O. Its as if my russian buddy is telling me that the HALO was, is, and will always be an inferior addon, however i digress. I still love the HALO despite its pitfalls. Like the machine screw for the bottom half.

img078.jpg

Imagine my surprise as the winchester super x slug succesfully seperated the HALO and the shotgun by bending this lonely screw, leaving me holding two seperate pieces at the vertical and pistol grips. Because the halo wont slip while the top is still attached to the bottom I was left dumbfounded with a "pseudo pump action" set up. Furthermore, upon replacement of the screw for the bottom half temporarily with standard hardware fare, while tightening the screws on the top cover one of the sides cracked completely through. I remember this being an issue when these rails were still "hot."

img005.jpg

The quote for a replacement top half was 100 bucks shipped bare, 130 refinished to match my HK black duracoat. Not bad, but i decided against it. Its the same exact part made with the same inferior casting technique. What I really want to do is pursue having the halo machined as opposed to cast. Ill put the 130 towards that process. Having never dealt with machine shops before, for some reason I am thinking that having the HALO machined out of a billet is going to cost me much much much more than 130 bucks. Am i wrong?

Second, my russian Korsak laser I received from Ural at the beginning of 2007 is now broken. The recoil from the same winchester super x rounds seemed a bit too much for its internals. All the glass components shattered in this little brass colored "laser bob."

img079.jpg

I did order a streamlight TLR-2, and so far i am pleased with its preformance. Well whatever....at least the drummies are around the corner. :devil:

Edited by Azkamidaka

You aren't forgotten bro...lol.

Damn dude sorry about the bad luck with those add ons. Yes I also believe the Halo was designed in too much haste and was not made near as good as it should have been. (Isn't that funny...hahaha...there is another company very much like that who made a crappy 20 rd drum and rushed it to market without testing it good....and isn't it ironic that they would now be carrying what looks like an almost exact copy of the Halo but without the built in sights...hmmm :rolleyes: )

I think someone should make another one similar but out of polymer instead. It would be lighter, easier to "adjust" to fit different Saigas (since we all know they are like "snowflakes"...lol :rolleyes: ), it would still be plenty strong if you used a good quality steel or titanium mounting screw (BTW if I was going to use a vert grip with slugs I would drill the underside of the receiver like on the S-308 and x39, and tap another screw into the Halo there. It also wouldn't have that cracking issue if it was made of polymer. And again...it would weigh a friggin ton like the current one does.

FWIW my Korsak Laser is having some issues too but my problem is in the pressure switch.

You aren't forgotten bro...lol.

Damn dude sorry about the bad luck with those add ons. Yes I also believe the Halo was designed in too much haste and was not made near as good as it should have been. (Isn't that funny...hahaha...there is another company very much like that who made a crappy 20 rd drum and rushed it to market without testing it good....and isn't it ironic that they would now be carrying what looks like an almost exact copy of the Halo but without the built in sights...hmmm :rolleyes: )

I think someone should make another one similar but out of polymer instead. It would be lighter, easier to "adjust" to fit different Saigas (since we all know they are like "snowflakes"...lol :rolleyes: ), it would still be plenty strong if you used a good quality steel or titanium mounting screw (BTW if I was going to use a vert grip with slugs I would drill the underside of the receiver like on the S-308 and x39, and tap another screw into the Halo there. It also wouldn't have that cracking issue if it was made of polymer. And again...it would weigh a friggin ton like the current one does.

FWIW my Korsak Laser is having some issues too but my problem is in the pressure switch.

What's the rail you are referring to as "an almost exact copy of the Halo but without the built in sights?"

What's that aluminum "muzzle brake" that joe hilarious was selling on ebay? What's it called?

Ok I found it...CHAOS

Now I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time...but I googled Saiga-12 and CHAOS and got the link to this website....

http://www.thesaigastore.com/catalog/index.php

Now I'm not sure how they are related, or if at all even, but I do find it strange that joe hilarous, a KNOWN member of the WM clan, has been selling these aluminum brakes on ebay which are the same ones for sale on this website that has the Halo type quad rails. I'm just assuming there is some connection.

Does anyone know what the deal is there? Any spokespeople here from that website? If so and you are not at all related to the Alliance guys then I apologize and you can just think of this as a free advertisement link to your website.

Perhaps the OP will buy one of your rail systems.

Here's what most likely caused the HALO failure. The recoil lug in the bottom of the handguard was not seated firmly behind the rear edge of the gas block. That occured because your gas block is a bit further foward then the gas block that the HALO was designed around. Since you did not remachine the recoil lug rearward when you installed it, all of the rearward recoil force was absorbed by the screw....hence the failure. If you had machined the recoil lug rearward, the gas block would have settled in behind it, and would have taken the recoil load, rather then the screw.

As far as the top piece cracking. That was just a poor design resulting in insufficient wall thickness of the material once the screw hole was drilled.....despite the screw size being reduced to a #6. (quite small for that particular application)

Tony