what scope to use?

Well Its time to scope the saiga and i'd like to get your opinions..

So i've ruled out getting a red dot, i'm after the distance.

I bought the standard factory scope mount, so its got some height

I'm thinking about getting a 3-9x40 but i would still be able to use the iron sights? would the front of the scope block my view?

Any thoughts on a proper scope? Nothing to expensive...im a man on a budget.

Thanks!

I think the factory makes two mounts, one too short to use the iron sights... I may be wrong.

I put an 'El Cheapo' NcStar 3-9X42E ($60) on and I can still use the factory sights. I had to file the Izmash mount a little to allow for the reticle illumination knob. I just wanted to see if I liked having a scope on the Saiga. I do. I'll be getting something sexier soon.

Contact me off the list if you want to buy this barely used scope.

Edited by Smiley_Guy
Well Its time to scope the saiga and i'd like to get your opinions..

So i've ruled out getting a red dot, i'm after the distance.

I bought the standard factory scope mount, so its got some height

I'm thinking about getting a 3-9x40 but i would still be able to use the iron sights? would the front of the scope block my view?

Any thoughts on a proper scope? Nothing to expensive...im a man on a budget.

Thanks!

If your mount allows you to see your iron sights UNDER the mount (Suspect it does -this is the factory jobber with the rings integrated, isn't it?)...

The 40mm front objective size is probably usable w/o getting in the way. I would not say that regarding, say, a 50mm front objective diameter size.

BTW, who cares if it does get in the way of the irons...it IS quick detachable, right?

Lollygagger ;)

By-the-way, if you guys would get mounts with a weaver/pictatinny rail on top...

you could always use different height rings & extention rings to adjust things. Just a thought.

FWIW, that scope on my Siaga in the avatar is with a 50mm front objective.

The mount is a Leaper's (MNT-972) that is low & blocks the irons. High rings keep the front objective off the rear sight. It does shift the scope forward some to help with the usual eye relief problems using the longer scopes on AK's.

Here's what it looks like off the weapon:

Leapersmountscope.jpg

Jus' thought it might be of some interest. If you've gotthe factory mount, I'd go with it -it looks like it shifts the scope forward, as well.

Lollygagger ^_^

Is there a quality high mount pictatinny rail unit with quick connect/disconnect features?

If so where can I get one and how much does it cost?

I plan on trying to use an older Bushnell 3x9x32 I have on an old Glenfield 22 rimfire I've had since I was a kid.

Thanks.

Wolverine

Thanks guys. I will check it out. I definitely want to scope one of the two Saiga's. The jury is out on the WASR-10. I am more focused on WASR's performance since polishing the shit out of the FCG.

I couldn't find any moly today but did pick up a can of Dupont fluoropolymer formula lube. It is rated for -50F to 450F. God knows what will happen if I spray some on that WASR's FCG.

Wolverine

The bp-01 is the mount that allows you to see your irons as well. I haven't handled one of these, but *do* have the bp-02, and it is sturdy and well made. Neither of these are centered over bore, but are slightly to the left. This can make it a little difficult to sight in, but with the high mount, you should be able to use the irons to help. There is a mount that is optimized for the AK and is centered over the bore, it's expensive though--about $135 as opposed to $45 shipped for the bp. If you wanted to spend that much, I'd consider getting a russian made posp with the mount integral to the scope--in fact, you might want to do that anyway--depending on the cost of the scope your considering. I highly recommend Tantal's, Doug is a pleasure to deal with and will ship next day if possible.

AK

I think AKHUNTER was talking about the price you spend on the centered mount you might as well get the mont and scope in one package.

POSP.RU

posp_4_8x42_tm.jpg

These guys are great to deal with. My POSP 4-8x42(looks like above with AK/Saiga mount not the druganov shown) was $150 from them, delivery included from russia! They beat the US suppliers by $50-150! E-mail them and see what all kinds they have( not all are listed on thier website((I would realy like to know how much they want for the $350 3-9 lit sniper scope)) I bet they have all the variants.)

posp_3_9x42v_1_150.jpg