Alright, I've decided I need some serious help/input if I'm gonna get what I want from building my first AK. I've messed with plenty of M4gery and a few other things, but never tackled building a Kalashnikov.

I've got a rough idea of what I want, but I have a few bumps I want to smooth out before I start dumping money into this.

Overall build cost: No more then $2,500 (to include parts, work, shipping, fee's, etc..)

Base: KCI AK-103

Here's what I'm looking to throw on this bad boy.

1. 7.5" ACE folding stock (internal block) [my first issue is here, about messing with the internal receiver blocks and moving the trigger group forward]

2. SAW pistol grip

3. Galil handguard [next issue here, is compatability to possibly adding an Ultimak rail gas tube, and finding a vented one; and if possible, with a heat shield]

Here's some of the other stuff I'm wanting to do, but don't know too much about for AK's.

1. I'd like to get a good fire control group (I prefer single-stage, military trained, so sue me) but I see everyone going for double hook and having to trim metal off to make it fit, I'm wondering if double hook is really nessessary, if moving the FCG around for the internal block creates any issues, and finding a quality AK FCG.

2. Sights/Optics, I'm not hellbent on throwing lasers and all sorts of shit all over this gun, but I do plan on eventually getting an optic for it. I love EOTechs (again, military) they work great for me, but they're not to AK friendly as you can't co-witness or even just use-through like on an AR-15 or M4.

3. I may or may not do the forward grip thing, I like it for the M4, but with AK's you can just hold the magazine (which works plenty fine for me, from the AK's I've shot) but I see a few people going with off-set grips, and I'm wondering if I throw a regular straigth ahead grip if it really gets in the way of things.

4. Trigger wire retaining plates, is this just BS, or is having one a good idea?

5. Good/bad muzzle brakes (the stock AK74 style brake vs a JTAC47) and recoil buffers?, this is all pretty much is it a good or bad idea, cuz I don't know.

That's really it, I like shooting AK's, I love how cheap the ammo is, how easy it is to clean and keep, but I don't want to go buy some WASR that everybody and their grandma has, I'd like to get a really nice AK.

1. I'd like to get a good fire control group (I prefer single-stage, military trained, so sue me) but I see everyone going for double hook and having to trim metal off to make it fit, I'm wondering if double hook is really nessessary, if moving the FCG around for the internal block creates any issues, and finding a quality AK FCG.

Double hooks were used in the original AK47 and were made obsolete in 1959 with the advent of the AKM. Single hooks have seen the Great Soviet through since then w/o any trouble.

2. Sights/Optics, I'm not hellbent on throwing lasers and all sorts of shit all over this gun, but I do plan on eventually getting an optic for it. I love EOTechs (again, military) they work great for me, but they're not to AK friendly as you can't co-witness or even just use-through like on an AR-15 or M4.

Sure you can. Ultimak rails are your friend.

3. I may or may not do the forward grip thing, I like it for the M4, but with AK's you can just hold the magazine (which works plenty fine for me, from the AK's I've shot) but I see a few people going with off-set grips, and I'm wondering if I throw a regular straigth ahead grip if it really gets in the way of things.

I've got VFGs on some of my AKs. Beats losing a hand during a KABOOM

4. Trigger wire retaining plates, is this just BS, or is having one a good idea?

The plates are the ultimate in convenience if you find yourself removing the FCG a lot. If you don't mess with the FCG, the shepherds hook wire works fine.

5. Good/bad muzzle brakes (the stock AK74 style brake vs a JTAC47) and recoil buffers?, this is all pretty much is it a good or bad idea, cuz I don't know.

Don't fall for the "soviet style" US made muzzle devices. They are usually far inferior in mirroring the function of the original.

My comments above in red.

To be honest, if you're starting with a Krebs gun, there really shouldn't be anything left for you to do.

Edited by nalioth

Well that's reassuring.

Single hook, fine then, I'll probably leave the Kreb's FCG as is. (Unless I can get a solid single stage and hook trigger group)

The only time I plan on messing with the FCG is if/when I do the folding stock, so the plate is out.

I'll leave the Kreb's AK74 brake where it is.

I guess the furniture is the only problem I really have to deal with, that and buying it all in Afghanistan for when I get back.

I guess the furniture is the only problem I really have to deal with, that and buying it all in Afghanistan for when I get back.

If you're going to buy it in Afghanistan, see if you can get an AMD-65 lower handguard. We just gave a few thousand of those to the Afghan police guys. It's ventilated metal sheet and has a front pistol grip. Takes care of the grip for you while still remainin AK-ish looking. That plus it doesnt get in the way of the mag as much as some vertical grips. (middle picture in my signature)

Edited by Agias

As nalioth said newer AKs use single hook. With that said I went with a double hook. Using a dremel it took about a minute to tape off the general area I needed to cut then actually make the cut. Never understood the "oooo have to cut into the receiver" view.

Aimpoints you can cowitness with a low profile 30mm mount

a standard(right in line with the barrel) VFG gets in the way of tactical reloads(knocking the mag out with another mag in your hand then loading the mag in your hand). Unless you have the VFG waaaay out front. Hence the "tilted" adapters like Krebs.

I dont have the stock trigger holes any more so I can't use the stock retainer spring. I could either use a retaining plate($12) or those clip on retainers that look like washers(pennies at mcmaster.com). I went for the retaining plate. Was easy and its not going to move.

I didnt do tons of research but heres my impression. Again, as nalioth already said don't fall for the "74 style" brakes. They just add weight. Now a true 74 style brake like the ones AK-USA and krebs sells actually do quite a bit. Better muzzle rise control than a slant brake(the cheap $5 45degree cut ones). Now the JTAC47 is recommended a lot but I had a hard time tracking down someone who used it in conjunction with anything else. I believe it was NavyGuy89 who I finally tracked down and PM'ed with some questions. He said the JTAC was much better. On top of that Primary Weapon Systems has a good rep in the M4 community. They actually just came out with a new compensator the FSC47 which mirrors their 5.56 model. I purchased this but I have yet to install it nor have I used any other brakes so Im not vouching for it yet...

Well if you buy stuff in Afghanistan (weapons wise) it stays in Afghanistan, unless you can have it claimed to be maid prior to 1898.

I plan on buying the stuff in the states, just from Afghanistan (cuz I'm here not there).

Well the gun comes with the Kreb's AK74 brake, but I'd like if you could James get back to me on the FSC47 brake, although it looks alittle too zany if you ask me. From what I could find, the JTAC is stopping muzzle climb (the upwards vents) and the FSC47 recoil (again look at the vents) and while each of these "supposedly" does that better then the 74 brake, neither of them can match the all-around utility of the 74 brake which works on both parts very well.

I really don't like Aimpoints, the fact that they're made for CQ and aren't parallax free til +50m is kinda silly, plus I'm just so used to shooting EOTech if anything I'll just go with that. I'd be getting a brand new EOTech 555 (which is the new military 553 in AA) which has ARMS levers so.

One more question is sling mounts.

I know that you can mount a variety of sling mounts on the ACE folding stock mechanisms (which is what I plan on using) but here's my grief.

I like the look of the push button ones, also the seems to be the smallest/least snaggableones for the AK to use a single-point sling. But, I'm worried about the push button itself.

If your weapon is hanging by the sling, the button would generally be expose, now what if something bumps into it, would it let go? How hard are the buttons to press and how secure are they?.

I'm just full of problems.

The best FCG out there for the AK is the RAA adjustable trigger system from Red Star Arms. http://www.redstararms.com/

You can adjust this trigger system to either a two stage military type, or single stage. It is very clean trigger system for the AK. Breaks real good with very little creep. Weight is adjustable from about 3.5 pounds to 8 pounds.

You will have to employ the services of Mr Dremmel tool to modify your safety lever when you install this FCG, but it's no big deal. The instructions are almost moron proof. Hey, I did it. :)