Forgive me if this has been covered here. I did do a forum search and didn't find any forums that deal with this ammo specifically. Apparently, as I understand the problem, some Indian ammo has double the powder charge as their quality control was lacking, with devastating results. correct me if I'm wrong. here is more info http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=617 :unsure:

Can somebody post those pictures here? If that's not against some sort of forum rule, 'course.

I bought 200 rounds of the stuff, took it home, looked up the headstamp, and haven't fired a round of it.

Edited by Twinsen

If you got it on strippers in bandoliers its good to go, no problems. There was some with headstamps in the 80's that had serious issues, It was packaged in plastic or just loose. The early stuff was produced while the English still maintained QC. Its reloadable too.

For a while, the stuff on strippers in bandoliers was the only thing avail here locally. I bought 100 rounds and fired them, was not impressed. I had to wash it all before shooting because it was so damn gunked up. If anything they had half charges. I had short-stroking, ftf's, fte's, nasty corrosion, and a hell of a cleaning task. (S-308)

I don't think it was unsafe, just underpowered and crappy. IMO, not worth the $2 savings. If something else is available, buy it first.

Tony - We can't all fire it from open-bolt LMG's. :(

Edited by shaneman153a
If anything they had half charges.
Unfortunately, some of the folks got the ones with 'no charge' and plugged their barrels ( and blew it up with the succeeding round ) or got the ones with the double charges.

As stated above, with Indian ammo, do your research. Some of it is very dangerous.

If anything they had half charges.
Unfortunately, some of the folks got the ones with 'no charge' and plugged their barrels ( and blew it up with the succeeding round ) or got the ones with the double charges.

As stated above, with Indian ammo, do your research. Some of it is very dangerous.

I have heard of that, I never rapid fired it, and always listened to each sound. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 70's headstamps okay, and late 90's are the dangerous types?

I have shot around 300 rounds with no problems of mine.I also have close to 1000 rounds of it left.They are nice and shiny for the most part with minimal tarnish,packaged in 10 round bags marked with English writing,headstamp says "OFV 95 M80 7.62".Came in 640 round ammo can.