They are suppose to have some wobble. 1/8" may be a little extra than any I've seen. Check your rivet that is holding it in. You could tighten it up little by replacing the rivet. If it functions Ok I would just keep an eye on it that is not getting worse.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont completely understand how the saigas use the "stiff" pistons.

i changed out the GP on my mak90 a few years back and threaded it in with red loctite.

well, with it being stiff i was getting serious "blowby" is what they called it. so bad it was spraying me in the face.

so, i backed it off a couple threads and pinned it in. gave it that wobble back. no more blowby and zero problems just like before i replaced it.

now, all the aks that i've seen have wobble up and down, not sideways. the bolt carrier actually kinda jumps as it cycles if you ever watched an ak being fired in slow mo go to youtube. the GP needs to be able to flex with the carrier.

wobble side to side sounds like either the rivet like stated before or even the pin hole through the carrier or GP itself might be worn out.

If the gasblock wich is the cylinder the gaspiston operates in is NOT true to the top rail of the reciever, a ridgid piston/carrier will bind. If the ridgid assembly works smoothly, then all is right in heaven and earth, pin it tight and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
If the gasblock wich is the cylinder the gaspiston operates in is NOT true to the top rail of the reciever, a ridgid piston/carrier will bind. If the ridgid assembly works smoothly, then all is right in heaven and earth, pin it tight and have fun.

I don't know it for a fact but I believe that that play in the piston is an intentional design feature of the AK rifle. It allows a less exacting placement of the gas block during the manufacturing process saving time and money. Like G O B says if you tighten it and the gas block isn't perfectly aligned you will cause stiff function, gas bleed and even possably unreliability. Eventually the piston will work itself loose again at which time the rifle will probably loosen up and run fine again. I went through the whole prossess with my first AK. The AK is almost a paradox in that most firearms are screwed up by loose parts while most AKs run best with them. Just an observation. I image that the Saiga is more carefully assembled than the AKs and may be able to function better with the tight gas piston because of more perfect placement of the gas blocks.

Edited by Otto's Dog