Beating the high cost of shooting

22s_1024x.jpg

With ammo costs through the rough I've been really glad I built the capability to shoot 22s through my primary systems a while back. These are what I've been feeding on most range trips recently. The sling on the AR is a home made sling I've been testing.

Edited by jhereg
I shoot mostly .22 also now, especially since I'm putting myself through college currently.

I'm probably running 95%+ 22 right now. Part of that's I scored 3500 rounds of it free a while back. Mostly it's just the centerfire stuff costs too much to either buy, or I have to replace from my stash. I end up shooting rimfire mostly, and then shoot some centerfire at the end of a session sometimes. They all work the same so my rimfire stuff is good practice.

hrm, i guess i'm the only person who doesn't shoot .22 huh? hehehehe, the only time i do is if someone else has one, i buy ammo in bulk and save $$, even though prices are still going up, i save a ton over retail.

hrm, i guess i'm the only person who doesn't shoot .22 huh? hehehehe, the only time i do is if someone else has one, i buy ammo in bulk and save $$, even though prices are still going up, i save a ton over retail.

Most of my range time recently has been practice. I can get as good, or possibly better, practice w/ my 22 stuff as the centerfire. The 22s encourage good habits since they have less recoil & muzzle blast. It's still trigger time w/ the same systems I am liable to use if I need one, but I will admit they aren't *quite* as much fun as the centerfire stuff. I've got ammo put back, but with the way the cost of living has gone up, and the cost of replacing it has gone through the roof I can't justify shooting 200 or 300 rounds in a range session. I can put more than that through the 22s and not feel bad about the cost.

Edited by jhereg
  • 2 weeks later...