Thumbhole, Dragunov, or AK w/ Pistol Grip

Ok, folks... what is your FAVORITE stock configuration. I see almost *ALL* the posts here for conversions are of you trying to convert a Saiga to take a standard style AK stock and a pistol Grip... I see none with anyone wanting to put on a Thumbhole, or a Dragunov style.. ( Like my conversion has).

So.. Why the PG preference? a desire to make it more "AK" like? or??

I am just honestly curious here as to your personal preferences and why.

Share with the rest of us your thoughts and feelings on this.. maybe it will enlighten some of us to different ways of thinking about similar topics.

My personal pref is the thumbhole.. dunno why.. I just think it looks VERY COOL!

as far as my conversion.. I didnt have a thumbhole to put on the Saiga .410... but I do now... bought TWO of them.. will screw right on, no fuss no muss! just put on on my AK-47... and I LOVE the way it feels to shoot now.. but again.. JUST my PREF..

thak471.jpg

I prefer a thumbhole on rifles with long barrels and a folding stock on rifles with short barrels...it just seems to make sense. My S-308 with 22in barrel has a synthetic thumbhole stock whereas my S-12 with 18in barrel has a folding Ace. The feel is similar, but the look makes all the difference.

I prefer my rifles to have a pistol grip. thumbhole stocks just dont do it for me, so i dont have one on anything I own. Ive shot them, and havent noticed anything better about them, and in fact, it is slower for me to pick one up and get it to my shoulder than any other configuration.

as for guns that kick like a 12 gauge or big bolt gun, I honestly prefer a regular old monte carlo stock. I dont think i would PG my s12 even if i didnt live in a facist state like NY. I know if i did, i would want one in its sporting config.

I dont like folding stocks very much for one fact: they are unpractical to my needs. I can fire from the hip just fine without a folder, and most all of my shooting is off my shoulder as it is, save some bump firing and other odd practice I do to keep my gunnery skills up to par.

I think thumbholes are great for accuracy shooting, they have a certain balance and stabilizing feel to'em, really lock you in but I like the standard PG for the most part and yes it is partially a cosmetic thing. Dragunov's are sweet too, I still prefer the standard monte carlo for clays though, just seems to line me up better for that type of shooting.

The main reason I'm converting my Saiga to pg config. is because I'm still pissed at the rediculous U.S. gun laws that made them butcher my Maadi before I could own it. And like the Maadi they went to all kinds of trouble to keep the average Joe from being able to just slap a pg on a Saiga. So I had to go through all kinds of trouble to get it back the way I wanted it. Since the Saiga is right from Izhmash it is closer to being a real AK than my Maadi is so I want it to look like I believe M. Kalashnikov intended for it to look when he 1st came up with his simple but brilliant design. I think the Drag stocks are cool but belong on sniper rifles. I was happy with my thumbhole Maadi after I modified it and made it more comfortable but I still think it is better with the standard AK stock and pg that I have on it now. Lighter, thinner, shorter, faster & holds a cleaning kit just like the orig. classic design. I just think it is really stupid what I had to do to have it that way. Like take out a perfectly good fcg and replace it with almost identical US made one that I had to modify to work. Then pain in the ass gas piston swap for again an almost identical part. And the most rediculous was the followers and floorplates in my mags. I guess we are lucky to at least have these loopholes that allow us to get what we want but I think the main reason most people hate thumbhole style stocks is because they remind us how much we are under Big Brother's thumb when it comes to the firearms we cherish.