Newly converted and back from the range

Don't know what's wrong with this thread but it showed up without my post........

So my brother and I bought a couple of dimpled 7.62x39 Saigas and I did the conversion on them. Saw grip, Kvar nato stock, dinzig bullet guide, tapco G2, etc.

Conversions

Super simple. I took my time and took good pics so when I get time I'll post them. In a nutshell, dremel and drill press to take care of rivets, I used HSS not cobalt and had no problems. Used a glass and tile bit for the spot weld. 3/8 drill bit for the PG hole using a properly printed ACE template. Tri file to square it.

Took them to the range to test before threading the barrels and painting.

First off, I've never shot a rifle before and I was standing so take that into account, we set up a target (paper bags weighted) at 50 and 100 meters. With the original sites I put nearly every round in both targets after getting used to a rifle (30 rnds or so) but the groups were the whole target. Nothing that you would measure and say I got such and such of a group. It was extremely easy to shoot. I'm sure that will improve. But then again I hit those targets with my Springfield loaded 1911 lol.....

Shot 300 rnds of wolf through each. One functioned flawlessly other than both of the rifles hand guards heating up to the point of untouchable. I tried holding the mag and the receiver in front of the mag well was crazy hot too. Normal rate of fire, not rapid. I tried bump firing for 10 rounds or so..... sorry but thats the most retarded thing I've ever done with a firearm.

The other rifle did not fire flawlessly. The trigger failed to reset on 60% of the shots. Springs are on the trigger correctly and the trigger isn't catching on the trigger hole or anything like that. You fire then it doesn't fire the next so you flick the trigger forward and it can fire again.

Here is the only difference, the G2 group on this rifle touches way more. I stripped the rifle and let the hammer forward. Then I moved the hammer back and when it clicked in it touched the disconnecter on the top. The other rifles FCG does this but just barely. The rifle that fails to reset, the hammer clicks under and gets a little caught by the disconnecter, which grabs about 0.036 of the hammer. So I'm wondering a few things.

Does this sound like the possible culprit?

Should I grind the hammer to clear or try and send it back? It's the rear flat part of the hammer not the part that hits the firing pin.

After, when I stripped them I checked the bullet guide screws and they were both a few turns loose so should I loc-tite them?

So to wrap up, super easy for me to convert them. Super easy to shoot. I heard the 7.62 kicks but it was a pussy cat. Pretty accurate for me, no FTE and no dents on the casings that I've seen.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by schadenfreude

you need to check the front of the trigger where it clears the receiver... you say it doesnt touch the trigger hole... NOT AT ALL in any position? I had to take a TEENY bit off the corner of the trigger cause it grazed the receiver...

If that is not it...

Without pics... or holding it... tough to tell..

I wouldnt grind on the hammer if you can help it...

YES... locktite on the screws if they feed properly.

:smoke:

you need to check the front of the trigger where it clears the receiver... you say it doesnt touch the trigger hole... NOT AT ALL in any position? I had to take a TEENY bit off the corner of the trigger cause it grazed the receiver...

If that is not it...

Without pics... or holding it... tough to tell..

I wouldnt grind on the hammer if you can help it...

YES... locktite on the screws if they feed properly.

:smoke:

So I'm glad I just set them side by side and looked before I touched anything. Here's what was wrong.

I drilled my PG hole 1/32 towards the trigger guard because I read that if you ever want to put an ergo grip on, it would help snug the fit. Well, the two forward "points" on the top of the Tapco saw grip were preventing the trigger from fully reseting sometimes. Rounded the tips and now its perfect, no grabbing on the disconnecter at all now.

So yeah, trigger was hanging up just not on the trigger hole, :lolol::unsure:

Also, I would like to thank my brother (who will never see this) as he ordered the guns, the conversion parts, the mags, the ammo, the rifle case, and since I did the conversions he's only letting me pay him $300 for the rifle and the rest is for my time. The rifle alone was $299 not including shipping and ffl fees. :eek: BEST BRO EVER!

Great stuff! A family that shoots together, stays together. Thats what America's about!

(Time to convert the other one! Dont want one feeling left out!)

Do you mean our other rifle or one of yours? I converted ours at the same time so they are both ready to go. Yeah its been fun having something to do with my brother, he moved an hour away and I don't get to see him much so this has truly been a good family bonding experience. He also let me shoot his 357 python and his smith ultra light J frame and I found out something very important...... I can't shoot a revolver to save my life...... practice, practice.

Simply amazing you did the conversion on TWO Saigas and have never fired a rifle before.

Honestly, it would have been a much sloppier job without these forums. Only that one hangup with the grip. Only nagging issues is I want to thread the barrels and put on a J tac or something like that and I wish I could put more authentic forearms.

The factory 10 rounders lock in and function flawlessly just like the Bulgarian waffle mags. Fits right up against the bullet guide but functions perfectly.

Just got back from trip #2

to the lovely Mt Hood Nation Forrest where we dumped a whole lot of lead...... :killer:

This time, with the saw grip lightly sanded, both rifles fired perfectly! This is a FUN gun. It's like taking one of those friction cars that you roll backwards and let it go..... it's like that every time you pull the trigger.

So..... they are ready for finish and paint and I couldn't be happier.

Lessons learned today

1. Wather P22 sends all the brass right at your face and shells can get lodged between your shooting glasses and your cheek and give you a first degree burn. :eek:

2. DO NOT pick up a hot Saiga by the barrel and not the handguard because is will burn some meat off of your three finger because you think it's too nice to drop on the ground :lolol: DROP IT! it won't get hurt!

3. It's best to stay off of some forest roads because sometimes you have top back down them 1/2 mile........

4. Bring little screwdrivers to adjust pistol sights.

Simply amazing you did the conversion on TWO Saigas and have never fired a rifle before.

Honestly, it would have been a much sloppier job without these forums. Only that one hangup with the grip. Only nagging issues is I want to thread the barrels and put on a J tac or something like that and I wish I could put more authentic forearms.

The factory 10 rounders lock in and function flawlessly just like the Bulgarian waffle mags. Fits right up against the bullet guide but functions perfectly.

Just got back from trip #2

to the lovely Mt Hood Nation Forrest where we dumped a whole lot of lead...... :killer:

This time, with the saw grip lightly sanded, both rifles fired perfectly! This is a FUN gun. It's like taking one of those friction cars that you roll backwards and let it go..... it's like that every time you pull the trigger.

So..... they are ready for finish and paint and I couldn't be happier.

Lessons learned today

1. Wather P22 sends all the brass right at your face and shells can get lodged between your shooting glasses and your cheek and give you a first degree burn. :eek:

2. DO NOT pick up a hot Saiga by the barrel and not the handguard because is will burn some meat off of your three finger because you think it's too nice to drop on the ground :lolol: DROP IT! it won't get hurt!

3. It's best to stay off of some forest roads because sometimes you have top back down them 1/2 mile........

4. Bring little screwdrivers to adjust pistol sights.

If you're gonna be a shooter, you gotta learn to 4WD backwards! :lolol: