Newbie needs your help to explain...

Hi All,

First, please forgive me if this has already been covered-I looked around but could not find it if it had.

I am a totally newbie to these long guns, and am contemplating the purchase of either the version with or without the pistol grip. Other than the substantial price difference and a matter of personal choice, is there a functional or performance difference between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's preference. I heard of guys that grew up with hunting rifles who like the unconverted version.

Most everybody prefers the Pistol-grip though, for both function and aesthetics.

Hi All,

First, please forgive me if this has already been covered-I looked around but could not find it if it had.

I am a totally newbie to these long guns, and am contemplating the purchase of either the version with or without the pistol grip. Other than the substantial price difference and a matter of personal choice, is there a functional or performance difference between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well, there are several answers to the questions. They depend largely on the locality of where you live. Some places it may be illegal to own a pistol grip or high capacity magazine S12.

Is there a function differnece between pistol grip and sport stock: No

Is there a performace difference: Depends on the user. Some people find the pistol grip version to be easier to point.

It really just depends on what you plan on using the shotgun for, and what your personal preferences are. If you like sports style shotguns and want to shoot clays with it then the sporter configuration will do better for you. If you want a home defense/cruiser shotgun, the pistol grip configuration will probably work best.

Remember, in the US, all pistol grip S12s are ones that were converted from the sporter version and requried the replacement of various parts and several hours of labor. That's why they are so expensive.

The G2 (or RSI) trigger groups are far and away superior.

Not trying to stir anything up so keep it technical please. But why is it better. I did not notice a difference in the S20 (yes I know this is the 12 section) just curious. Like many other things there might be a difference in the two shotguns, again. I put the G2 in my S20 for the parts count only as I was happy with the stock trigger. The pistol S12's did not feel comfortable to me when shooting ducks, dove or quail. The pistol grip version was far more comfortable when plinking at targets on a level plane though. That and the aesthetics are why I converted the S20.

Not trying to stir anything up so keep it technical please. But why is it better.
Items 7, 8 and 9 make up the factory 'trigger'. This setup has loads of creep and mush.

saiga556_664_a.JPG

This is a G2 FCG. The center item is the trigger. It provides a normal pull and a crisp release:

ak0651lguj7.jpg

Edited by nalioth