.308 saiga, but i need help with scope, mount, etc

Hello to all...

i went to a local gun shop and fell in love with the Saiga .308 gun they had on display. it had a tasco 3 9x40 scope, bipod, black stock, and i didnt look very close to see what length the barrel was. today i have been reading up on saigas and they are quite impressive. so, i am going to purchase it for sure now. now for a stock gun it is 289 and for the scope, bipod, mag, and gun, its 488, this is all without tax. nnow my questions is, can i replicated the display gun with the bipod and scope, mounts, etc, for cheaper or should i just buy the display one for 488.

now, could someone please explain the parts that i need i guess its the rings, scope mount, a good scope, and a bipod, im really more of a computer person, im getting into guns thanks to army rotc. links would be great so i know what the price differernce between buying it from that store fully equpied or buying the parts spearately.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/bipods.html

could i use this bipod, anyone of them? or is there a special one for the saiga .308?

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/mountsrings.html

hmmmm...beats me, can someone let me know?

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rincolsizfon.html

???? haha sorry guys i read the forums, but i really dont know much at all

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/scopes.html

whats goood?

anyways, somewhere around 500ish, i just want to know if that combo i mentioned above is good for 488, or should i buy stuff online from those links?

thanks everyone

smith329@purdue.edu or AIM is smithy5160

HAPPY HOLIDAYS...if i there are good repsonses and i feel commoforatble with my knowldge of the gun parts, i will be a new owner of this awesome rifle after xmas!

The bipod is not needed unles you realy like them. Good riflemen use a sling for support and rely on thier bodies( this may be all you have in any given situation).

If you want a good bipod you need one attached to a sling swivel, not the barrel.--40-60$ for the new swivel and bipod( Harris or knock-off) 10-20$ for barrel clamped

scope- under 100 for russian fixed power POSP with intergral mount. weaver mount 40+ Tasco world class scope 50-100$

sling 10$

i like the look of the bipod, what makes the the barrel clamped bipod not as good as the sling swivel one? im just wondering because this is going to be mainly just for ocassionaly target shooting, nothing real serious. and as for the scope, i have seem a lot of them, and the one that it comes with is a tasco 3 9x40 is that good for the price of 488, scope, bipod, gun, mag?

let me know, im thinking i should buy it all separately, for a scope, what do i need to buy? a mount, rings, and scope which will run me ?

thanks

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/posp_6x42.htm

if i get this, then that is all i need correct? i mean it comes with the side mount and i just attach it on the side of the saiga, i dont need rings or anything else? i just want to make sure that if i just buy that one that is all i need. im trying to get a good estimate of putting it together or buying the prepackaged one. is that scope a good one?

what is a side base?

do i want eyepiece focusing?

thanks

i really appreciate yours help!

saiagcnvfront.jpg

It looks like a harris bipod. make sure to get one that only folds forward so you can lean into it when the legs are down. The barrel clamped ones flex and move the barrel, not good when trying to attain accuracy.

most scopes come with rings and the mount might also, contact the seller for info. The posp is ready to mount on the gun with nothing else to buy. All the bells and whistles are dependant on your desired range of use and your personal likes. The posp has good optical clarity and light transmission, but I still like the larger 42mm tubes, not the 24mm. I have the POSP 4-8x42 from

POSP.RU

for 150 shipping included to my door in Texas from Russia

thanks for the help,

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/ak_svd_scopes.htm

i am looking at this one

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/posp_8x42.htm

its the 8x42, your 4-8x42 goes from 4x-8x zoom right and mine 8-42x can only go 8x?

thanks, how long did yours take from russia? i go back to college 11/8 and i want to shoot this before i leave, im assuming that night vision web will come sooner.

thanks

VM or VMD?

thanks

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/posp_8x42.htm

POSP 8x42VM, 1,000 m, for Vepr/Saiga, SAR-1, 2, 3 V $139.95 POSP 8x42VMD, 1,000 m, for Vepr/Saiga, SAR-1,-2, 3 V, $149.95

What is the difference between the VM and the VMD model? And since this is a 8x42, 8x is the max correct? So I can zoom from 1x-8x right?

When I buy the saiga retail from a store, will it come with a side mount? So I just want to make sure that if I buy the gun, this scope, and a harris bipod then I will be ready to go right? I mean I wont need rings or mounts or anything?

16" or 22" barrel?

Thanks

the side mount is already on the gun.

The 8x42 is a fixed 8 power(no adjustment) 42mm diameter exit pupil

the D in VMD is for the focusing eye piece. the VM is the saiga/vepr mount( as there are several different side rails on the different russian guns.) the plain posp VM is still adjustable at the eye piece for relief to fit you.

My scope took about 7 days to ship from russia and it cost $150

the bipod will need a diff quick detatch sling swivel ( found at wal-mart or somewhere else for less than ten bucks)

look around for a cheeper bipod- there are knock offs of harris for 25-40

posp.ru is still the most reasonable priced I have found. Just email them with any Q's and your want list if it is not on thier web sit, they had mine and it wasn't listed on the web. They can get them all.

Outers -Harris clone

Smithy, do yourself a favor and don't be in 2 much of a hurry. Wait on the bibod, investigate the POSP scopes thoughly before "diving in" so you get what you want and need. I shoot only 100yds at my range, so a 8x scope is alot more than I need. There is alot of good info here, also you can check The Firing Line for info on Saiga scopes. I always find that when time is on my side I make better decisions.

haha

well i only have so much time until i go back to campus and i cant bring a .308 back there. i called today and they only have the preconfigured one and they dont know when they will get another in. it was a 16" bipod and scope for 488, a bit high i think esp since its not a russian scope.

anyways, if i get the russian 8x32 that means i can zoom 1x-8x right/

thanks

• 4 years later...

The bipod is not needed unles you realy like them. Good riflemen use a sling for support and rely on thier bodies( this may be all you have in any given situation).

If you want a good bipod you need one attached to a sling swivel, not the barrel.--40-60$ for the new swivel and bipod( Harris or knock-off) 10-20$ for barrel clamped

scope- under 100 for russian fixed power POSP with intergral mount. weaver mount 40+ Tasco world class scope 50-100$

sling 10$

I consider myself a "good rifleman". The Army taught me to take off the sling or tape it down on the weapon since a loose sling makes a lot of noise... not a good thing to warn the bad guys you are in the vicinity. In twenty+ years in the Army I was never taught to use the sling for anything but "sling arms!". I have seen TV SWAT guys use the sling for some imagined purpose, wrapping it around like an ace bandage. Again, doesn't seem to be a good idea to tie yourself up when a bad guy might come out of the shadows and you're into a hand-to-hand situation. Well, to each his own. I remain... "a good rifleman".

I consider myself a "good rifleman". The Army taught me to take off the sling or tape it down on the weapon since a loose sling makes a lot of noise... not a good thing to warn the bad guys you are in the vicinity. In twenty+ years in the Army I was never taught to use the sling for anything but "sling arms!". I have seen TV SWAT guys use the sling for some imagined purpose, wrapping it around like an ace bandage. Again, doesn't seem to be a good idea to tie yourself up when a bad guy might come out of the shadows and you're into a hand-to-hand situation. Well, to each his own. I remain... "a good rifleman".

The kind of sling use he is referring to is for distance shots, not for CQB. If you have never learned how to use it in this manner, you are missing out on a significant bit of additional accuracy. Open yourself up to further improvement; after all, what the Army teaches is not the be-all-end-all on marksmanship.

Jim

sling 10$

The Army stopped using the sling on the Stoner rifles (M4/M16) due to the barrel of the rifle wraping slightly under the pressure. Up until that time sling use was taught as a religion. Go to an Appleseed to see the difference in training as they teach it the way it was before hand. I was impressed with the training and people my first trip and following Appleseeds.

The sling in either Hasty, Hasty-Hasty, or Loop use adds at least 20% stability directly increasing accuracy by the same margin. Using a Saiga it loves that sling.

In twenty+ years in the Army I was never taught to use the sling for anything but "sling arms!".

The Army also doesn't take 500yd shots with iron sights.

Marines use slings. Using a sling in combat is a matter of personal preference and situational requirements.

Again, I want to point out there is a huge difference between marksmanship and combat shooting. One is the theory, the other is practical application.

You need both to maximize your abilities on the rifle.

Most sanctioned matches dont allow allow slings that I have seen as some people can get pretty creative. When the change was made to the Stoner rifle the sling became looked on as no longer a shooting aide. I am old enough to have been able to train with both the 14 and 16 and like the Saiga that M14 takes to a sling like a duck to water. Even hunting I always kept the sling in Hasty-Hasty to give that positive control should I stumble or a boar make an unexpected entrance. Nothing fancy is requires just the plain old inch and a quarter canvas two point GI sling.

A heavy rifle like a Saiga 308 or any Saiga as far as I know will perform better with a sling but point taken on combat shooting being open to no rules but shoot first shoot well live another day.