I'm new too the saiga and I was wandering how long, in general does it take for a saiga 7.62x39 take to wear down on parts. Also what should I keep an eye out for ect.... Mind you, this is taking tipical consestent rifle upkeep into account. If anyone could give me heads up that would be great. thnks

I'm new too the saiga and I was wandering how long, in general does it take for a saiga 7.62x39 take to wear down on parts. Also what should I keep an eye out for ect.... Mind you, this is taking tipical consestent rifle upkeep into account. If anyone could give me heads up that would be great. thnks

You're supposed to do consistent upkeep? Why didn't someone tell me this 3000 rounds ago? What will you guys think of next? :D

Edited by Ak addict

You've hit on one of the drawbacks of having a Saiga - no ready source of spare parts. I've been looking for a source of spare parts for a while and haven't found one. Saiga Stock has a few - buttstocks, recoil springs, and mags. But, haven't found anything else.

Fortunately, AKs don't break many parts. But those that teach AK classes and see a lot of rifles report very occasional part breakage. You could buy duplicate rifles to cannabalize for parts (if needed), but that's all I can think of.

hey thanks Loki! I have enjoyed it very much so far. I plan on doing some conversion but not much. My saiga is a "saiga option"with the skeleton stock. No dimples though. Got it new from box for 400. ya I know thats steep but I had to have her. I will post pic with this info on that "lets see your pics" one.

thanks rubincon. I will most likely by one just to cannabalize it. hopefully people can keep this topic going for ahwile. Cause i'm sure I wont be the only one looking for small maintance references. ;)
Why?

95% of the 7.62x39 Saiga is interchangeable with just about any other 7.62x39 Kalashnikov.

Buy a cheap parts kit with a FUBAR'd barrel for your spares.

thanks rubincon. I will most likely by one just to cannabalize it. hopefully people can keep this topic going for ahwile. Cause i'm sure I wont be the only one looking for small maintance references. ;)
Why?

95% of the 7.62x39 Saiga is interchangeable with just about any other 7.62x39 Kalashnikov.

Here's what my experience has been. Nothing would make me happier than if someone would point out something that I have overlooked.

The spare parts that I like to have with any semi-auto rifle are extractors and firing pins. The standard 7.62 x 39 AK firing pins and extractors won't work in a Saiga bolt. The firing pins won't fit in the bolt at all and the extractor is a completely different type (Saiga uses a "claw" type extractor while the standard 7.62 AK extractor is a "barrel" type).

The closest I've gotten is an AK-74 extractor and firing pin. The AK-74 firing pin is a little loose in the Saiga bolt. The AK-74 extractor is the correct "claw" type, but because it was made for the smaller diameter 5.45 cartridge, the curvature of the extractor is tighter.

I've tested the AK-74 extractor in a Saiga bolt using snap caps. The AK-74 extractor extracts the snap caps, but does chew up the rims a little (unlike the stock Saiga extractor). It seems like what's needed is a "claw" extractor for a 7.62 cartridge. But, I don't know where to find one.

What I can't understand (and please comment) is with all the Saiga rifles in use, don't Saiga owners break or lose firing pins or extractors? If so, what do they do?

The spare parts that I like to have with any semi-auto rifle are extractors and firing pins.

See, that's funny because the spare parts I like to keep around an AK is another cheap ass dead-reliable AK...

Sorry man, couldn't resist. :)

Yes. I do that too. The problem with an extra rifle is that not all parts are equally likely to fail. First extractor breaks - OK. Second extractor breaks, now you've got TWO useless rifles because you can't buy spare extractors.

The spare parts that I like to have with any semi-auto rifle are extractors and firing pins.

See, that's funny because the spare parts I like to keep around an AK is another cheap ass dead-reliable AK...

Sorry man, couldn't resist. :)

Yes. I do that too. The problem with an extra rifle is that not all parts are equally likely to fail. First extractor breaks - OK. Second extractor breaks, now you've got TWO useless rifles because you can't buy spare extractors.

I wish RAA would finally get the ball rolling and at least get the non compatible

parts from Ishmash for Saigas and Veprs. Bolt carriers, bolts, extractors, and

springs.

Edited by tman2007sc
Why?

Here's what my experience has been. Nothing would make me happier than if someone would point out something that I have overlooked.

The spare parts that I like to have with any semi-auto rifle are extractors and firing pins. The standard 7.62 x 39 AK firing pins and extractors won't work in a Saiga bolt. The firing pins won't fit in the bolt at all and the extractor is a completely different type (Saiga uses a "claw" type extractor while the standard 7.62 AK extractor is a "barrel" type).

The closest I've gotten is an AK-74 extractor and firing pin. The AK-74 firing pin is a little loose in the Saiga bolt. The AK-74 extractor is the correct "claw" type, but because it was made for the smaller diameter 5.45 cartridge, the curvature of the extractor is tighter.

I've tested the AK-74 extractor in a Saiga bolt using snap caps. The AK-74 extractor extracts the snap caps, but does chew up the rims a little (unlike the stock Saiga extractor). It seems like what's needed is a "claw" extractor for a 7.62 cartridge. But, I don't know where to find one.

What I can't understand (and please comment) is with all the Saiga rifles in use, don't Saiga owners break or lose firing pins or extractors? If so, what do they do?

Rubicon,

Dinzag got back to me and said that the Krink bolt he has is for the 5.45 X 39, and not the 30 cal. He said that the Krink bolts are virtually the same and would probably be a safe bet if you could find one in 30 cal. He said KVar used to sell them but no longer does. So I dunno what to do.

Does anybody know a source for a Krink 7.62X39 bolt or bolt assy?

I too would just like to find those simple, but critical parts so as not to have to spend money on an entire spare rifle for spare parts. AK's are to valuable to scrap out. And if your spare rifle is a Saiga... come on guys, you'd no more set it aside for spare parts than you would if you bought a brand new spare car... would you?

Why?

Rubicon,

Dinzag got back to me and said that the Krink bolt he has is for the 5.45 X 39, and not the 30 cal. He said that the Krink bolts are virtually the same and would probably be a safe bet if you could find one in 30 cal. He said KVar used to sell them but no longer does. So I dunno what to do.

Does anybody know a source for a Krink 7.62X39 bolt or bolt assy?

I too would just like to find those simple, but critical parts so as not to have to spend money on an entire spare rifle for spare parts. AK's are to valuable to scrap out. And if your spare rifle is a Saiga... come on guys, you'd no more set it aside for spare parts than you would if you bought a brand new spare car... would you?

MacMan,

Yes. I haven't been able to find Krink parts, just the entire parts kit. RAA told me that they're trying to get spare parts from the factory in Russia. Their outlook is "a few months". I think Saiga Stock is going to sell the parts. Again, with all the Saiga's out there, I can't believe that SOMEONE isn't breaking or losing the occasional part.