heavy barrell

Anybody ever try to put a heavier barrell on one of these to improve accuracy?? Is it even possible??

Rick

I think the reason you're getting little (or no) response is because most people think the saiga barrel is heavy and accurate enough. I tend to agree, anything heavier would not be to my liking in terms of weight and balance. Its certainly not a light barrel, but if you want to make it bigger or heavier, don't let me stop ya! :)

Anybody ever try to put a heavier barrell on one of these to improve accuracy?? Is it even possible??

Rick

I think the reason you're getting little (or no) response is because most people think the saiga barrel is heavy and accurate enough. I tend to agree, anything heavier would not be to my liking in terms of weight and balance. Its certainly not a light barrel, but if you want to make it bigger or heavier, don't let me stop ya! :)

I don't think you would get much accuracy out of a heavier barrel anyhow. Now, once you start really putting rounds down range and the Saiga barrel heats up, that will have an effect on accuracy. At that point, a heavier barrel like a bull barrel would probably take longer to heat up.......I guess..

Why do people put bull barrels on 10/22s? Do they take longer to heat up or do they keep their harmonics better once they heat up?

Either way, a bull barrel would definately look badass on a Saiga 308, but obtaining one and installing it would cost an obscene amount of money most likely.....If money is no object, then sure.

Rick

I don't think you would get much accuracy out of a heavier barrel anyhow. Now, once you start really putting rounds down range and the Saiga barrel heats up, that will have an effect on accuracy. At that point, a heavier barrel like a bull barrel would probably take longer to heat up.......I guess..

Why do people put bull barrels on 10/22s? Do they take longer to heat up or do they keep their harmonics better once they heat up?

Either way, a bull barrel would definately look badass on a Saiga 308, but obtaining one and installing it would cost an obscene amount of money most likely.....If money is no object, then sure.

The .22rimfire is a little/weak to benefit much from a bull barrel. It doesn't have the barrel whip the .308 does.

Someone posted a few weeks back on this forum saying that they knew someone who rebarreled an S-308 and got good results. It's possible.

Have you not seen a VEPER in .308? Has a thicker reciever and barrel and giver better groups. Of coarse it weighs more also.

Edited by cscharlie
kewl. but what does a bull bbl do for a rifle?

It reduces barrel whip, heats up slower and maintains accuracy more consistently in various

conditions. The draw back is that it is heavier, may require strengthening of the receiver to

support the additional weight and once it heats up it takes longer to cool back down.

They make perfect sense for bolt action rifles that aren't meant to take more than one shot

to accomplish the task.

Has anyone here done any actual accurizing on their Saiga?

There were a few posts regarding re-crowning the muzzle and such. What about free floating the barrel or modifying the gas system? Anyone tried anything like that?

It reduces barrel whip, heats up slower and maintains accuracy more consistently in various

conditions. The draw back is that it is heavier, may require strengthening of the receiver to

support the additional weight and once it heats up it takes longer to cool back down.

There were a few posts regarding re-crowning the muzzle and such. What about free floating the barrel or modifying the gas system? Anyone tried anything like that?

I'll soon have a fluted barrel .308 with free floating hand guard. Will post comments after going to the range.

kewl. but what does a bull bbl do for a rifle?

They make perfect sense for bolt action rifles that aren't meant to take more than one shot

to accomplish the task.

There have been some good comments/observations lately about this with a couple guys working along the lines of your questions.

I've been waiting to hear what choices Jim Fuller and Gabe make on their Saiga 308 sniper rifle project.

Cheers, HarvKY

I rebarreled my SAR-1 with a 28" barrel from an Argentine Mauser. I used that particular barrel because the price was right and I wanted to test my skills with rechambering a barrel. It took a little lathe work, but it wasn't anything too taxing.

If you can DIY, it will save a chunk of change that a gunsmith with charge you for the labor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wrung the Saiga 308 this last weekend at the Sniper class. Things needed. My new Lasik eyes need alot more eye relief than the standard side mounted POSP offers. I will need to change the mount/optic. I have some ideas, but will wait until I have that done to say anything. The handguard is screaming to be floated. It is held in place by one little screw and that kept coming loose all day. I can loctite it, but I think it needs much more than that. The trigger Fuller put on it rivaled some bolt guns in class. It is exceedingly easy to shoot and hit with. We shot out to 500 yards. Due to the eye relief thing, 400 was my limit, but we had one gent using a Saiga 16" and an 1P21 scope hitting the 500 yard steel regularly. I think this is a good platform that needs some mods to make it better. I would be very interested in hearing about the free-float handguard.