happened upon a I.O. stg 2003 at local gunstore always wanted a 223 ak and i liked the looks of this i thought. well after a complete furniture change and an optics upgrade im pretty happy with results i can hold just over an inch at 50 yds with this red dot and function is flawless with these weiger mags.

they claim to have a styer hammer forged barrel with a 556 chamber, . has anyone else had experience with this model of ak variant i would like to hear your take on them

post-12279-1219005156_thumb.jpg

Edited by bohnscot

Is this the same basic rifle? The information says "Steyr technology cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel." Does adding the word "technology" equal saying it is like a steyr barrel or similar to a steyr barrel using similar technology? Like a knock off brand of barrel?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programmin....asp?Prodid=422

Is this the same basic rifle? The information says "Steyr technology cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel." Does adding the word "technology" equal saying it is like a steyr barrel or similar to a steyr barrel using similar technology? Like a knock off brand of barrel?

You have a barrel made by Romanians using Steyr techniques from the turn of the century, most likely ( notice nobody said "modern Steyr technology"). A lot of barrels these days use processes Steyr came up with long ago.

Don't you just love marketing departments?

This is just a WASR that InterOrdnance contracted with Cugir to make for them, instead of Century.

You have a barrel made by Romanians using Steyr techniques from the turn of the century, most likely ( notice nobody said "modern Steyr technology"). A lot of barrels these days use processes Steyr came up with long ago.

Don't you just love marketing departments?

This is just a WASR that InterOrdnance contracted with Cugir to make for them, instead of Century.

my bad i missed the play with words but the fact remains i hit what i aim at and it feeds reliably for a wasr in a fancy dress

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
happened upon a I.O. stg 2003 at local gunstore always wanted a 223 ak and i liked the looks of this i thought. well after a complete furniture change and an optics upgrade im pretty happy with results i can hold just over an inch at 50 yds with this red dot and function is flawless with these weiger mags.

they claim to have a styer hammer forged barrel with a 556 chamber, . has anyone else had experience with this model of ak variant i would like to hear your take on them

How did you remove the hand guard and place it?

• 3 years later...

Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread.....

Found one of these at a local pawn shop, intact minus the original rpk-style buttstock (someone put a Tapco adjustable on it)They're asking $500 for it with one Weiger mag.....I'm going to offer $400 cash.

I know this is essentially a WASR 3, but even those are pretty scarce in my area. If I end up with it, I plan to put the original stock back on, add a TX dog-leg rail with a peep sight and a fancy charging handle knob/cover/whatever they are called and a few more Weiger mags.

Any one else have one of these? It's kinda rare. Not saying it's all that valuable, just rare.

Edited by TheDarkHorse
  • Like 1

*Update*

I got it for $450 out the door. All numbers match. It shows very little wear. And, as I mentioned before, the only thing that isn't original is the buttstock.

I found a replacement stock online, but for now I'm using one that I had already.

Here's what I have learned about mags...

Mine came with one Weiger mag, which I've read is the best for these rifles. However, there is a lot of side-to-side movement with mine, which lead me to compare it to the galil mags thatI already had. The differences are too close to call, so I tried one in the STG. It locked in tight and fed flawlessly. No damage to the tip or casing. The two authentic Galil mags were perfect but the two Century versions had feeding issues. Then I tried my Tapco Galil mags. Not only did they lock in tight and feed flawlessly, but they had the least side-to-side movement. I think I have a winner.

Now I just need some range time to get a feel for her. I even managed to get the handguard tightened up so there is no movement. I'm really digging this rifle!

Here's what she looks like right now:

post-17248-0-60419000-1338605643.jpg

Good luck. Some people have had bad luck with the WASR-3 based rifles. Some are flawless. I've always liked them, but never had a chance to get one at a decent price. Hope it works out. Post back about the magazines you find that work, because I'd like to know. I always suspected that the Galil and Tapco Galil mags might work in a WASR-3.

I also like the Weiger rifle design itself.. If only it had receiver dimples and proper Weiger gas block, it would be a dead ringer for the real thing that we never got.

Edited by mancat

From what I have read, the issues with the WASR 3 have been magazine related. The solution has been to use WASR/SAR 3 and Weiger mags only.

Not sure why the Galil mags never came into the equation.

Going into the purchase, I was prepared to go the AR-mag adaptor route....but since the Tapco Galils work so well, I'll just pick up a few more.

I use to feel the same way about receiver dimples as you and many others do, but after doing some extensive research, it's not as important to me as it used to be. Besides, it's in good company with the dimple-less Saigas in my collection.

Don't know man.. As far as .223 AKs are concerned, there has always seemed to me to be an unwillingness to try different magazines, or up until recently, maybe just a lack of knowledge of what is out there. It seems that the popularity of the .223 Saiga has pushed .223 AKs a bit more into the mainstream, and now the information is a bit more available, and more surplus magazines available. Just a few years ago, it wasn't easy to get Circle-10, Galil, Beryl magazines, etc. and Weigers were almost the only thing you could find for them.

I agree that dimples are overrated.. It's just that the STG-2003 is so close to a Weiger, yet is missing a couple of nit-picky details. That's just one of them.

The STG-2003 is an AK that I would pick up in a heart beat if I saw one used for that same type of price. I already have four Galil steel mags and six Beryl mags for my Saiga .223 so I am good to go smile.png

Edited by mancat