To sell or not to sell, ammo question.

I recently sold my Saiga .308, primarily because I never had the opportunity to shoot it, and because I wanted to work on other projects. I have several battlepacks of S. African x51 147gr and Norinco x51 ammo. I haven't purchased any .308 in the past year basically. What do you guys foresee happening to the price of .308, I know it's jumped up a bunch. Should I hold on to it in case I get another .308, or unload it and worry about buying ammo if I get another one in the future. If I sell it, it'd be to buy a reloading press for my other stuff. What seems to be the average going price for the battlepacks these days, $65 or so?

I too bought 2 cases of .308 SA from AIM back about 2 years ago...when it was $175/case shipped. I can't bring myself to shoot the stuff up now, with the rediculous price it costs to replace it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd hold onto it if you have ANY INKLING of eventually buying another .308. I believe it will only continue to go up in price.

Well, if the two wars we have going on right now ever wind down I expect a glut of surplus ammo at some point in the future. Of course that might be 5 or 10 years down the road.

So if you're going to come out significantly ahead, I'd sell. Better yet, trade it for gold because 5 or 10 years from now it might take several dollars to equal a Mexican peso.

Ok, some Dave Ramsey logic here:

Let's say you DON'T have the battlepacks anymore. But you had $70 instead. You walk into a gun show and see a battlepack there for $70. Would you buy it?

If you would buy it in this hypothetical, you should keep it now. You value the battlepacks more than the $70.

If you won't buy it but elect to keep the cash, you should sell it. Why hold on to something you don't value. Something you won't buy anyway for the same amount of cash.

Money is liquid. Items are also liquid at the right price.

Think about it. This is how I make my sell/don't sell, buy/don't buy decisions. You can also use the same test to figure out what is your comfortable price point. Or at what price it would have to be for you to feel comfortable selling it. ei...would you buy it for $80? $90? $100? when you say "nope", i'm not buying it for that much - then that is the price you would feel ok selling it...that is the price you value the cash more than the item.