Saiga Conversions Gone Wrong?

Hey guys. I just got my first Saiga 7.62, and was interested in putting a pistol grip on it. At the time of purchase, I wasn't aware of the 922r stuff, so it was a little bit of a surprise. It is my first rifle purchase, and I am by no means a gun expert, but I am considering doing the PG FCG mod myself.

I brought it up with a buddy of mine that has a couple of AR-15s, and he got me really worried about what could go wrong, and warned me of rounds blowing up in my face, etc etc etc.

So I have watched the video, and read the conversion guide, and really do think I can do it.

What is the worst that can happen? If I get everything back together, and the bolt moves smoothly, is there any other concern? I figure if I get to the point where I can't get the FCG installed properly, I could always take it somewhere at that point to have put back together? The only place that I have found locally so far wants 480 or so to do the conversion. It includes bead blasting and recoating, but I dont think I can swallow spending more on the conversion than the rifle cost!

Thanks to everyone for the great info on the board, it's been a joy to read so far.

Hey guys. I just got my first Saiga 7.62, and was interested in putting a pistol grip on it. At the time of purchase, I wasn't aware of the 922r stuff, so it was a little bit of a surprise. It is my first rifle purchase, and I am by no means a gun expert, but I am considering doing the PG FCG mod myself.

I brought it up with a buddy of mine that has a couple of AR-15s, and he got me really worried about what could go wrong, and warned me of rounds blowing up in my face, etc etc etc.

So I have watched the video, and read the conversion guide, and really do think I can do it.

What is the worst that can happen? If I get everything back together, and the bolt moves smoothly, is there any other concern? I figure if I get to the point where I can't get the FCG installed properly, I could always take it somewhere at that point to have put back together? The only place that I have found locally so far wants 480 or so to do the conversion. It includes bead blasting and recoating, but I dont think I can swallow spending more on the conversion than the rifle cost!

Thanks to everyone for the great info on the board, it's been a joy to read so far.

I don't see how a conversion could make it blow up in your face. Go for it. When you're finished, do a dry-fire function test, make sure everything is good, and fire it. Just a side note, after you put in the new FCG, you might feel the bolt "stick" a little if you ride the charging handle when you rack it (but as long as you rack it like a man, you'll be OK :D . Pull back, and let her fly, don't ride it forward). Don't worry about it, it's normal, and after it wears in, it'll be smoother. It's a lot simpler than it seems. The fact that you have the confidence to say you "really think you can do it" is more than I could say before I did mine. I though I was gonna muck it up, but it turned out great :D .

Edited by 22_Shooter

Yeah, what .22 said. As long as you are not swapping out the bolt or getting the chamber reamed then you will not have any trouble with your headspacing. Furthermore, as long as you just install the trigger parts and do not start monkeying around with them by trying to do a trigger job by grinding off corners and such you will not have to worry about a slam-fire situation.

Convert and be merry!

Edited by moxie1c

Be careful not to damage/warp/malign/scratch/bend/etc...the receiver body. Afterwards, I would fire and check for accuracy. After my 1st time conversion, the elevation was changed slightly. But that's easily solved by adjusting my front sight post a tad. I don't know why that is am not an expert.

I found the most difficult parts are the Bolt Hold Open (pain in tha ASS!!!) & the trigger guard.

But overall, WELL WORTH IT :devil: , my friends (some w/ stock Saiga's are blown away from the fact that their rifles can be altered legally too...)

Edited by quikz
Be careful not to damage/warp/malign/scratch/bend/etc...the receiver body. Afterwards, I would fire and check for accuracy. After my 1st time conversion, the elevation was changed slightly. But that's easily solved by adjusting my front sight post a tad. I don't know why that is am not an expert.

I found the most difficult parts are the Bolt Hold Open (pain in tha ASS!!!) & the trigger guard.

But overall, WELL WORTH IT :devil: , my friends (some w/ stock Saiga's are blown away from the fact that their rifles can be altered legally too...)

As far as the Bolt Hold Open, are there any other options than the spring? I have read about the e-clips, and the Shepards Crook? Can those be used to replace that spring, or do I have to put the spring back in regardless? Will it make the process easier by ordering the FCG from Dinzag?

I also noticed on Dinzags site, that he modifies the safeties to include a bolt hold open notch, or something along those lines?

The trigger guard doesn't really worry me, I will just have to be nice and patient, and it doesn't seem like there are THAT many parts inside. I imagine as long as I am careful and do not damage anything, I should be ok.

I am itching to place the order! I almost want to go ahead and move the trigger guard before I order, just in case I have problems!

As far as the Bolt Hold Open, are there any other options than the spring? I have read about the e-clips, and the Shepards Crook? Can those be used to replace that spring, or do I have to put the spring back in regardless? Will it make the process easier by ordering the FCG from Dinzag?

I also noticed on Dinzags site, that he modifies the safeties to include a bolt hold open notch, or something along those lines?

The trigger guard doesn't really worry me, I will just have to be nice and patient, and it doesn't seem like there are THAT many parts inside. I imagine as long as I am careful and do not damage anything, I should be ok.

I am itching to place the order! I almost want to go ahead and move the trigger guard before I order, just in case I have problems!

You won't need any of Dinzags stuff if you do a full FCG conversion. His stuff is for folks who want to stay with the factory monte carlo stock.

Most of us throw the BHO away when we do a rifle conversion.

Also, I think you are vastly overthinking the operation. Converting a Saiga is like falling off a log while drunk. When you get it done, you'll look back on this post and wonder what the hell you were worried about . . .

Also, I think you are vastly overthinking the operation. Converting a Saiga is like falling off a log while drunk. When you get it done, you'll look back on this post and wonder what the hell you were worried about . . .

I couldn't agree more. I was nervous about converting my rifle, but after completing the conversion I could not believe how simple it was. I want to buy another just so I can do it all over again. Just take your time and you will be fine. Good luck!

I couldn't agree more. I was nervous about converting my rifle, but after completing the conversion I could not believe how simple it was. I want to buy another just so I can do it all over again. Just take your time and you will be fine. Good luck!

Ok, let me go over this one last time.

The shopping list is as follows:

Tapco G2 FCG

SAW pistol grip

AK Stock

TAPCO AK Trigger/Hammer Axis-Pin Retaining Plate

Is that it?

Edit: Ok, just reading some more. Do I not even have to replace the trigger?

Edit Again: Re-Realized that the Tapco Trigger's purpose is for 922r compliance. The FCG (3) and the Stock/Grip (1) is the 4 that will bring me down to 10 foreign parts, which will allow the use of the stock magazine, or a US made one. Correct?

Edited by TheRealJason

There really isn't anything that can go wrong with an AK that can make it "Blow up" in your face... It's not a Glock, or an AR15. :)

As long as the stock and PG are made for a stamped AK they should work. Because tolerances vary with different AKs, some minor fitting may be necessary. If so, it really just amounts to a little light sanding.

While you don't NEED any of Dinzag's products when doing a Saiga conversion, I highly recommend his modified Tapco G2 FCG for a PG conversion (yes, he DOES offer FCGs, and other parts, for Saiga conversions) if you are planning on reinstalling the bolt hold-open (BHO). It comes ready to install with the disconnector spring already in place. Dinzag also polishes mating surfaces, and even includes six nylon hole plugs to take care of the holes resulting from removing the factory trigger.

Some people reinstall the BHO, and some don't. I always have. It is really quite easy if you use the method in the YouTube video (I used fishing line instead of dental floss though).

Your parts count looks good.

id use a redstar trigger, fully adjustable.

the shop i work at uses them in every conversion we do...i first went there to help them paint...but since im speedy and got idle hands im one of their better converters. fast and done right. they got in 8 S-12s the other day and all (including 1 of mine) are accounted for and to be converted....ill be busy and the cash will be nice.

the head "converter" made a little tool he's going to try to patent...makes installing the BHO a breeze...cuts it down to mere minutes. i got so used to it, i fully assembled a S12 in about 20 minutes...exterior and interior parts....

Yeah dude, get your rifle, get the parts, and do it yourself. I was really worried about doing it myself at first, I bought all the parts and procrastinated for about 3 months, then I just did it. Super easy stuff, even getting the trigger parts back together is a breeze. It's so simple you could probably train a chimp to do it.

A word of caution, once you do it, you'll probably want to build some more guns, so save some cash.