Can you use Saiga mags in a conversion?

I want to install a bullet guide on one of my Saiga's so that I can use regular AK mags. Will I still be able to use the stock Saiga mags? I use this one to hunt with and need to keep it as stock looking as possible for PC purposes. Also to not exceed the DNR's round count in the magazine.

I am going to use a Dinzag bullet guide.

I don't know how it would really depend on which bullet guide you use, since the factory mag acts as a bullet guide itself. I use a Dinzag bullet guide in my Saiga and when I chamber a round from the factory mag or from a master molder mag, the round doesn't even seem to touch the bullet guide. Since the mag has that extra lip on it, the round should move right over the bullet guide as if it wasn't even there. If you notice a problem, you can always use a cheap hand file and take some of the material off the lip of the factory mag if needed, or pick up a surplus low capacity mag to replace it. You shouldn't have any problem using a guide and the factory mag, though.

Keep in mind that to use regular AK mags in a Saiga conversion you have to file down the mag catch slightly in addition to installing a bullet guide. I recall reading that the factory mags should work OK in a Saiga modified to accept regular AK mags IF you are careful to remove the MINIMUM amount of material from the mag catch to allow AK mags to seat.

Keep in mind that to use regular AK mags in a Saiga conversion you have to file down the mag catch slightly in addition to installing a bullet guide. I recall reading that the factory mags should work OK in a Saiga modified to accept regular AK mags IF you are careful to remove the MINIMUM amount of material from the mag catch to allow AK mags to seat.

This is true. However, to tighten up the factory mag once the catch has been filed to accept regular AK mags, I use a little JB Weld on the tang of the factory mag to take up the slack. Just file it down so that it snaps securely.

Marine-Tex is another product to use if you want something more durable than JB weld. It's found in most marinas. It's an epoxy with hardener.

And yes, Dinzags bullet guides are the ones you should be using. You can then rotate from factory mag to AK mag without a problem.

Edited by MacMan

I use dinzag's guide as well. I switch between high cap mags and the stock 10 rounder with no problems. Some high cap mags are very tight, some are perfect, some are a little loose. The saiga mag is a little loose but Ive never had any feed issues. Perfect when on a bench

I just assumed he was planning on filing his mag release to accept standard mags or filing standard mag catches a couple of mm. to lock in. Otherwise, what's the point of installing a bullet guide? :unsure:

• 2 months later...