308 vs 7.62x39 vs .223

well i was reading hardforums a mainly computer hardware forum which i spend equal amounts of time at and was reading a gun subforum and i have a quick question...

then 308 is a hard punch up closer and offers the distance, which makes it really accurate

the 7.62x39 isnt as accurate, does offer as long range

so does that make the .223 is this the same round as a m-16 5.56? so since that is a lighter round it will travel farther, and be more accurate?

thx

Accuracy has less to do with the cartridge and more with the firearm and who made the ammo. Although some cartridge are naturally more accurate than others (.308 (7.62x51 Nato) and .223 (5.56 Nato) are good examples), it only gives them a fraction of an inch in groups sizes.

7.62x39 offers about 200 yards before trajectory drops to almost useless levels. It also isn't known as the best round for killing enemies, but it punches a bigger hole than the 5.56 (when it doesn't frag). The .308 offers the best of both worlds, especially with West German milspec ammo.

Rather than go on forever, just look at this and check out the wound profiles. Also, pay close attention to the 5.56 frag-ability rates when compared to velocity.

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/basics/pmrb.html

• 1 year later...

.308 or 7.62x51 is a full power rifle cartridge. It offers both distance, accuracy, and power but comes at the sacrifice of recoil.

7.62x39 is an intermediate round (similar to a .30-30). If it designed for 300 yards engagement and is inherently less accurate than other rounds due to its tapered case design. It is powerful under 200 yards due to its mass. Recoil is moderate.

.223 (similar to 5.56x45) is also an intermediate round. It is designed for 300-400 yards engagement. The cartridge is very accurate as well, but can suffer due to the lightweight bullets (wind drift). High velocity means less drop over distance. Recoil is very light. The fun facts are that mil-spec bullets will fragment under ~150 yards with most guns. This is a devastating effect.

So your facts are a bit screwed up. For close range, you want an intermediate hard hitting cartridge (7.62x39 or 5.56x45). For medium ranges, all calibers can fill that need, although 5.56 seems a little more well rounded. For long range (400+ yards) you are really looking at a full power cartridge (.308) to be effective.

As stated already, the accuracy of the round depends mostly on the launching pad - the 7.62x39 is a very accurate round and is the parent case for the 22PPC, 6mm PPC, etc. - bench rest rounds.

I have proven this for myself with my CZ carbine that is chambered for 7.62x39 - shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards with white box winchester ammo - handloads do better at 1" and I bet I could beat that with a better scope and more time on the reloading bench.

The 7.62x39 penetrates better than the 5.56 through media such as cinder block but 7.62x51 outclasses this by a wide margin.