Difference between 19" and 24"

All wise ones of the forum. I've been looking to buy a Saiga 12 for about 5 months now and I'm having a hard time getting a hold of a gun. I can purchase a 24" barrel version but I was wondering if there are any differences in the firearm other than the barrel length. I was planning on converting and eventually shortening the barrel to the minimum allowed without jumping through hoops, so I was wondering if there is any reason to wait for a 19" versus the 24". I want to do the whole folding stock, pistol grip, etc. Don't we need to cut the 19" barrel to get down to min. size? Isn't min. size like 18.5" OAL? Thanks for the guidance.

Regards,

jrmy_1

All wise ones of the forum. I've been looking to buy a Saiga 12 for about 5 months now and I'm having a hard time getting a hold of a gun. I can purchase a 24" barrel version but I was wondering if there are any differences in the firearm other than the barrel length. I was planning on converting and eventually shortening the barrel to the minimum allowed without jumping through hoops, so I was wondering if there is any reason to wait for a 19" versus the 24". I want to do the whole folding stock, pistol grip, etc. Don't we need to cut the 19" barrel to get down to min. size? Isn't min. size like 18.5" OAL? Thanks for the guidance.

Regards,

jrmy_1

Whether you plan to have him do the work or not, I'd direct the question to "Mr. Saiga" / Tony Rumore / Tromix for a precise answer.

...though I'm sure there are others on this site who can give you an excellent answer

Cheers, HarvKY

Yes minimum is 18 1/2 inches fixed barrel length without getting a sbs permit. Tony made an 8 inch version for some body guard. Thats 18 1/2" barrel not including a removable flash supresser. If you weld on the supresser you would include its length in the overall lenght.

I converted (2) 22" older models. Just search the forum you'll find the hole dimensions for adding the forth port and enlarging the other three. Then pick up a gas knob from Gunfixr from firearms sales co in the business section. With his knob, test it, you might not need to drill any new holes. everything else is in the conversion sections. Rent the barrel threading tools from Dinzag and your all set.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=27498

I've got 2 of the knobs and they are amazing compared to the originals. 4 settings and I can fire heavy 1 1/4 oz hand loads on the 2 setting no problem. sometimes on 1 depending how hot the load is. I could probably cycle 1 oz loads on 3, haven't tried yet. I like the heavy stuff. you know, practice with what you go to war with.

Edited by utahhandyman