Muzzle device question.

From what I understand about 922r if I want to put a "muzzle device" on my soon to be converted .223 it has to be U.S. made to keep my parts count low enough to use high cap mags, but I was wondering if I can make my own flash hider on my lathe at home and still have it legal? :unsure:

It would technically be made in the USA since I, well, live in the USA.

It would be nice if I could do this and save myself $30.

Thanks for any info.

Mike.

Yes, you can make your own parts and there's no requirement to mark it USA. Marking it is mainly CYA paranoia. Personally, I hate the USA markings as I think they tend to 'clutter up' the look of a clean rifle. I prefer to find items either (1) not marked, but made in the USA, or (2) very inconspcuously marked, or (3) NFA whereby I can eliminate USA parts altogether. Unfortunately, I'm in the minority and most do want them... so manufacturers tend to engrave it. Hell, a receipt with a description 'USA xxx part' is all I want.

Somebody remind me... does Tromix mark all his parts or is it just obvious by the design? I can't recall, but I don't remember seeing any marks on his Lage stock, handguards or muzzle attachments.

Edited by RDSWriter

This depends on the type of muzzle device and the type of conversion you are performing. The ATF allows pinned-on muzzle brakes on imported sporting rifles, but not flash hiders. As such, you would have to satisfy the parts requirements, which is most easily done by using a US trigger group. Saigas start at a 14 parts count, including the 3 parts in the magazine. Swap the magazine and that brings you down to 11. A 3-part trigger group brings you down to 8. Use a US-made pistol grip and you won't add any parts. At this point, pretty much anything else you choose to do to it won't affect its 922r legality as long as you only use US mags, since it's virtually impossible to add 3 additional foreign parts that count (anything else will just be a 1-for-1 swap with existing parts). If you do run out of parts, you can always swap the gas piston.

Edited by Mike the Wolf