I'm pretty sure you're not going to run afoul of any NJ laws because as I recall it only limits mag capacity to 15 rounds so you're ok.

BUT...I think putting in a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds moves it from the "sporting purposes" category as far as federal regs go and you'd need to convert the rifle to comply with 922r.

Here's a site I used for reference:

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Navy87guy is a board member but I think he's currently deployed.

Personally, I'm not using anything other than factory mags until I get around to converting my .308.

Question guys, sorry to hijack. I too am currently dealing with 922r compliancy in NJ.

Since the pistol grip is not originall installed on the rifle, would it still count towards my part count for 922r compliancy? Or does it cancel out?

Assuming it is American made of course.

ORRRR

When I put the pistol grip on the rifle, since I am taking it out of the sporter category, does it then count as a part of the rifle? In this sense, the Saiga 7.62 would have 15 parts in total, correct?

This was my parts list so far for 922r compliancy:

Trigger group (3 parts)

Buttstock (1 part)

Handguards (1 part)

Could I put a pistol grip on this gun and still use the factory (foreign) magazine? What if I add a USA made muzzle brake? Would this have the same effect as the pistol grip? Would it count as an original part? Or would this cancel out as well.

I just want to get a current parts count...without the magazine. I plan on using Surefire 15 round mags. I'd like to get 922r out of the way before even thinking about the magazines, just in case I decide to use foreign mags at some point.

thanks

-Joe

I'm pretty sure you're not going to run afoul of any NJ laws because as I recall it only limits mag capacity to 15 rounds so you're ok.

BUT...I think putting in a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds moves it from the "sporting purposes" category as far as federal regs go and you'd need to convert the rifle to comply with 922r.

Here's a site I used for reference:

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Navy87guy is a board member but I think he's currently deployed.

Personally, I'm not using anything other than factory mags until I get around to converting my .308.

From what I read the plastic surefire mags will count as US made, therefore I should be ok then.

Question guys, sorry to hijack. I too am currently dealing with 922r compliancy in NJ.

Since the pistol grip is not originall installed on the rifle, would it still count towards my part count for 922r compliancy? Or does it cancel out?

ORRRR

When I put the pistol grip on the rifle, since I am taking it out of the sporter category, does it then count as a part of the rifle? In this sense, the Saiga 7.62 would have 15 parts in total, correct?

Trigger group (3 parts)

Buttstock (1 part)

Handguards (1 part)

Could I put a pistol grip on this gun and still use the factory (foreign) magazine? What if I add a USA made muzzle brake? Would this have the same effect as the pistol grip? Would it count as an original part? Or would this cancel out as well.

I just want to get a current parts count...without the magazine. I plan on using Surefire 15 round mags. I'd like to get 922r out of the way before even thinking about the magazines, just in case I decide to use foreign mags at some point.

thanks

-Joe

Your pistol grip can not count towards compliance, only against it. The gun doesn't come with one from the factory so it's not counted. However, if you put a foreign made one on, it will count against you.

ORRRR

Trigger group (3 parts)

Buttstock (1 part)

Handguards (1 part)

thanks

-Joe

There are 14 countable parts on a factory saiga 7.62X39

Receiver

Barrel

Trunnion

Bolt

Carrier

Piston

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnecter

Butt Stock

Hand guard

Mag body

Follower

Floor plate

If you're adding parts to this list such as a pistol grip or muzzle brake, they have to be US made. If they're US made they don't count towards or against compliance. If you decide to put a foreign made one on it will count against you and bring your list of foreign made parts up. Anybody looking for quick, easy compliance only needs to change to a US made magazine and change either the hand guard or piston. That's the easiest and fastest way to become compliant. Problem is, it's a waste. You're limited to the magazines you can use. You're far better off changing the trigger group (Three parts), putting a US made pistol grip on, bullet guide, US hand guard, and US butt stock. With those US made parts you can use whatever magazines you want, foreign or domestic.

You could also do your trigger group (Three parts again) along with the gas piston. That gets rid of 4 foreign parts and makes you exactly compliant. You'd be able to use whatever kind of magazine and furniture you like. Just keep to the list though with your foreign made parts.

I personally use foreign made furniture and US made magazines. Once I change my piston I'll be able to use my Norinco magazines again.

ORRRR

Trigger group (3 parts)

Buttstock (1 part)

Handguards (1 part)

thanks

-Joe

There are 14 countable parts on a factory saiga 7.62X39

Receiver

Barrel

Trunnion

Bolt

Carrier

Piston

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnecter

Butt Stock

Hand guard

Mag body

Follower

Floor plate

If you're adding parts to this list such as a pistol grip or muzzle brake, they have to be US made. If they're US made they don't count towards or against compliance. If you decide to put a foreign made one on it will count against you and bring your list of foreign made parts up. Anybody looking for quick, easy compliance only needs to change to a US made magazine and change either the hand guard or piston. That's the easiest and fastest way to become compliant. Problem is, it's a waste. You're limited to the magazines you can use. You're far better off changing the trigger group (Three parts), putting a US made pistol grip on, bullet guide, US hand guard, and US butt stock. With those US made parts you can use whatever magazines you want, foreign or domestic.

You could also do your trigger group (Three parts again) along with the gas piston. That gets rid of 4 foreign parts and makes you exactly compliant. You'd be able to use whatever kind of magazine and furniture you like. Just keep to the list though with your foreign made parts.

I personally use foreign made furniture and US made magazines. Once I change my piston I'll be able to use my Norinco magazines again.

Thanks! That's just what I was looking for. Yeah, my furniture will be K-Var, so I'm good.

Thanks man

-Joe