It's not so much that it counts as a handguard, it's that it's replacing the Russian handguard that does. You're REMOVING a foreign part. That's how the law works. You don't need to ADD US parts. You need to REMOVE foreign parts. This is normally done by replacing them with US equivalents.

It's not so much that it counts as a handguard, it's that it's replacing the Russian handguard that does. You're REMOVING a foreign part. That's how the law works. You don't need to ADD US parts. You need to REMOVE foreign parts. This is normally done by replacing them with US equivalents.

Yes but do the rails count as a forearm/hand guard? Like I said assuming they do and I replace the hand guard with US made rails I'd be down to 9 foreign parts so its pretty irrelevant I'm just curious nonetheless.

Again anyone have any recommendations on which rails I should look at and in which configurations?

Adding a US part doesn't take away from a foreign part. You can add all the US parts you want, but if you're not removing foreign parts it doesn't matter. You're not allowed to have more than 10 foreign parts in a non-sporting rifle.

I understand. I thought it was implied that I'd need to remove the factory handguard?