What Moly Resin does Tony at Tromix use?

I'm going to be refinishing my 7.62 to match my 12. Tony converted and refinished the 12 (beautifully which goes without saying when you're talking Tromix) and I'd like to use the same color Moly Resin on my 7.62. Not sure if it's flat black or semi-gloss Moly Resin but I'm sure it's one of those two, I'm leaning towards semi-gloss because I would think flat black would be more obviously flat. Anybody know what he typically uses? And how much does it usually take to refinish one of these bad muthas? A quart? 8oz's?

Pictures never do show the finish like it looks in person:

075.jpg

Edited by ernestmayhand

I'd check with Tony (or one of his close buds on that one). If I'm not mistaken Tony's posted that he uses SOCOM (flat) black, or atleast he did. I use MolyResin almost exclusively on all my builds and the flat isn't nearly as flat as you'd think-it really depends on if you add any additional MEK, the temp your part is when sprayed, and how wet you lay it on. I had a brake that I got from Tony a few years ago and it looked like the SOCOM/Flat to me but things could have changed. The Semi has a slight metalic sheen to it that I attribute to the powdered stainless in it. As for the coverage, in real life I think your looking at 2-3 guns/8oz depending on if you blast first and how many parts you spray-I usually give 2-3 coats with extra banding on hard edges. Unless your really jonesing to get it done, I'd find out from Tony for sure as the difference is significant between the two.

Looking at my S17 from Tony, I'd say it's the black flat. I have a bottle of the black flat and it's a perfect match. Either color will do...I'd even go as far as suggesting using KG instead of Norrells. I have used both products and like KG better because it doesn't smell as bad when you are baking it. I would also suggest using K phos prior to using the KG or Norrells.

Kind of a cold parkerizing. The phosphoric acid will microscopically etch the metal, adhere and form a great base coat for the "paint" (moly resin is technically a coating) to stick. The phos also acts like Naval Jelly and eradicates any flash rust you get after blasting and cleaning prior to spraying. Flash rust is a given here in Florida!