New S12 owner and frustrated..........

I just picked up a Saiga 12 and started looking for parts to mod it with. Seems I have to change enough parts to stay compliant? I just want to change the stock to a folder, add a pistol grip, shark break, front site and handguards. Will that be OK or do I need to dump a ton of money into this thing to make it stay compliant? Are those parts plug and play or do any involve drilling, filing etc...? Appreciate any comments and suggestions........

Edited by TBAG

Budget conversion.

Tromix Trigger Guard $45.00

Saw pistol grip $25.00

Tromx FCG $45.00

AR style sliding stock for AK $44.95

Tromix Gas Piston $45.00

And a couple of cobalt drill bits to knock out the existing trigger guard rivets.

Then the rest is just bolt on.

HEY look, I just noticed, everything is available at the same place, Mississippi Arms. They also happen to be one of our sponsers! Hint hint!

Total cost for all the parts for a basic conversion being in compliance, $204.95 plus shipping.

To do the stuff that you want to do instead you will need to use a different style of stock system which will be quite a bit more money (ace block, folder, etc), and the shark brake, and then the front hand guard of some sort.

My suggestions are for a basic conversion to start out with.

Edited by bobotech

I just did my first conversion and it only cost me about $150 and took about 4 hours (and my workshop is very mediocre). I believe that if you don't convert the weapon back to the Kalishnikov intended design you're just bending over for the dumb law that says the rifle has to have a sporting appearance to be imported from Russia. All you have to do is drill out the original FCG rivets and grind down the rivets that hold on the sporter plate. Remove sporter plate and the original AK configuration holes for the FCG and PG are revealed. Install new USA FCG and PG, it's as easy as that. I like the gun twice as much now as when it was in the sport configuration so it was definitely well worth it. You can find all the info here on the forums for how to do it and the 922 compliance questions are all answered in the tech section in the FAQ thread.

Edited by ernestmayhand

Or, you can do it the easy way.

Ace folder, with the receiver block adapter, a USA made mag, a US made gas piston or "Puck", I made and sell my own, and that adds 5 USA made parts, to get you under ten.

Total time to changeover, 20 minutes tops, no tools other than a screwdriver, allen wrench, and its reversible back to sporting configuration if you ever decide you don't need, or can't own, an "Assault Shotgun".

A US made muzzle device, and a US made handguard also add US made components as well.

Ace folder. 185.00

Gas piston/puck 25.00

Siaga_FX_292w.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys! I would like to keep things simple. Based on what I understand I need to have 5+ U.S. parts to stay compliant? So if I changed out the following would I be OK?

1) Tromix Shark Break - 1 part

2) M4 Collapsible or folding Stock with pistol grip - 2 parts?

3) 12 Gauge 10 Round AGP Magazine - 1 part

4) US made handguard - 1 part

The AGP 10 rounder counts as 3 parts (body, follower & baseplate).

So I can just use a 10 round mag and change out the stock and add a pistol grip? Sounds easy enough...........

[quote name='TBAG' post='269287' date='Oct

Only counts as one part reduction, as the pistol grip is adding a part.

Now if your going to do a real conversion the trigger group counts as three parts.

Thanks for the responses guys! I would like to keep things simple. Based on what I understand I need to have 5+ U.S. parts to stay compliant? So if I changed out the following would I be OK?

The correct way to approach it is no more than 10 foreign parts to stay compliant. There is a thread somewhere in the 992 or the tech section that identifies parts.

The correct way to approach it is no more than 10 foreign parts to stay compliant. There is a thread somewhere in the 992 or the tech section that identifies parts.

That thread is stickied in the tech forum under 922r compliance (i.e. .Saiga-12.com > Tech Section > Saiga 922r Compliance / THE LAW), here is the link.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18530

As was mentioned, when you add a pistol grip you are adding to the part count. So in the case of say an IZ109 version of the Saiga 12 which is threaded for chokes, even though it only has 14 countable parts when it first arrives in the U.S., if you are converting it to a configuration with a pistol grip, the part count then increases to 15.