Saiga 12: can you put an AK stock on it?

The Tromix folder also fits.

Indeed it does. But what I'm asking is whether or not it will take a standard AK stock once you have that internal receiver block on there. Will it?

No, it will not.

If you remove the receiver block, you'll only have one hole left in the rear block to affix a standard AK stock. This can work, but is not advisable.

Edited by nalioth

Indeed it does. But what I'm asking is whether or not it will take a standard AK stock once you have that internal receiver block on there. Will it?

No, it will not.

If you remove the receiver block, you'll only have one hole left in the rear block to affix a standard AK stock. This can work, but is not advisable.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

I think what I'm finding here is that accessorizing the Saiga 12 is a boutique operation. For mounting a folding stock on an internal block with the trigger moved forward, you pretty much have your choice of ACE or Tromix, unless you want to put on an adapter for CAR-15 stocks. Do I have that about right?

I think what I'm finding here is that accessorizing the Saiga 12 is a boutique operation. For mounting a folding stock on an internal block with the trigger moved forward, you pretty much have your choice of ACE or Tromix, unless you want to put on an adapter for CAR-15 stocks. Do I have that about right?

The Ace block will allow you to mount an AR15 collapsible stock, as well ( Ace sells some fine AR15 collapsible stocks )

No, it will not.

The thing is, once you install the Ace internal block, you will no longer have that rear tang that you see coming off the back of your receiver. That has to be cut off for the internal block installation. At that point your options are limited. You can use the Ace or Tromix (or AR stock adapter), that bolt right up to either the rear block (fixed), or you can put the folding hinge on there and then attach the Ace, Tromix, or pig nose adapter. There are four threaded screw holes in the back of the plate on the internal block that are all you have to work with.

There are a couple more options though.

You can do like my friend krisfox did, and cut the front end off of an AK wood stock and attach it to the folding hinge with heavy duty wood screws. His came out pretty nice. There are pics of it somewhere on the site...

I imagine if you really wanted it bad enough, you could do the same thing with a poly stock but you would first have to epoxy some kind of block inside the hollow cavity of the cut off poly stock.

Then there's the other option. If you want to use the Ace folder, (or at least use the hinge, without sacrificing the ability to use a regular AK stock sometime in the future) you can get the Ace external block. It's not quite as neat looking as the internal block, but it doesn't require you to cut off the rear tang. You can always just remove it by taking out two screws, and replace it with a normal AK stock.

Thanks for the responses, but I'm not sure I've asked the question properly. Let me try again:

I want to put an AK-style buttstock and pistol grip on the Saiga 12. I still want to move the trigger group forward. Can I just get an AK stock and pop it in? If not, what's needed? An external receiver block?

Thanks for the responses, but I'm not sure I've asked the question properly. Let me try again:

I want to put an AK-style buttstock and pistol grip on the Saiga 12. I still want to move the trigger group forward. Can I just get an AK stock and pop it in? If not, what's needed? An external receiver block?

Any AK stock should be a direct replacement for the factory Monte Carlo after you've replaced the fire control group.