Hi everyone, I hope its ok to post this here. I was sent a few pictures from a friend that found guns in the attic, unfortunately she's not close enough for me to go over and really inspect them and I dont know much more than the pictures. At first glance, they don't look like much, but I dont want to tell her that, then have her go to a gun shop and potentially get ripped off.

post-12814-1225244064_thumb.jpg

post-12814-1225244073_thumb.jpg

post-12814-1225244082_thumb.jpg

post-12814-1225244090_thumb.jpg

Edited by B. Lee.

Those are some sweet old weapons she's got there.

The top one looks like it could be a Henry, just a guess...

The center one is an old Stevens rifle from the looks of the cocking lever and rear tang sight....nice.

The SxS percussion shotgun at the bottom is also very nice. Could be from the War Between The States even.

Top, Winchester 1873, any caliber markings?

Middle, Winchester 1885 low wall single shot winchester low wall pic

Bottom pic, hard to tell, but with the side lever it's probably Belgian in origin, gauge looks to be 12 or bigger, probably Damascus barrels. Those things sticking out are firing pins, not percussion nipples.

Old Winchesters bring good money, I have no idea of worth on the SxS, but probably not high $$$

All of them could very easily be in the 1873-1900 range for manufacture date, would have to have serial#s of the Winchesters to be positive.

I wouldn't take them to a gunshop, most will just try to lowball her out of them (at least the Winchesters anyway). A 73 with a good bore and solid mechanicaly could bring $1500 pretty easy, the Low wall could go $1500 depending on condition.

Ok, getting a little more info from her. She says the two rifles say: "Manufactured by Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New Haven, Conn. USA" one of them says "Model 8-3" The shotgun she says it has on it: "CF Leader" but she didn't find the guage. She's going to look for more markings on the rifles, I'm thinking the shotgun isn't anything too special. I'll hopefully have more pictures soon. Thanks again!

A little more info on the SxS CF Leader. It looks like it was imported by Cresent Arms/Folsom Arms, maybe in the $250 range. The shotgun may or may not be ga marked.

The 73 should be marked on the barrel somewhere with it's caliber marking (probably on top close to the receiver), it should be either 32WCF 38WCF 44WCF or .22 Short. I've never heard of a 73 in 25-20 (25WCF) but I suppose it's possible. The low wall should be marked in roughly the same place, but it was made in a far greater variety of calibers, both center-fire and rim-fire from 22 short up through 44-40 (44WCF).

I have a thing for old guns :devil:

Ok, she found another one, this doesn't look to be in too good of shape, and it just looks weird... Here are some pictures.

One more question, she's in New Jersey, and I'm in Missouri. I dont know if its worth her sending the guns to me so I can clean them up and sell them or if she should just take them somewhere. She's looking for some cash from them. Any suggestions on what she should do?

Thanks again!

post-12814-1225459509_thumb.jpg

post-12814-1225459552_thumb.jpg