What's going on? Got an opportunity to pick up a Bulgarian AK in Mass which still subscribes to the AWB. Gun has a milled revciever, double hook trigger and dimples in the mag well and a 30 round mag. Gun's gonna run me 6 and a half. What do you all think?

Thanks

Allred

What's going on? Got an opportunity to pick up a Bulgarian AK in Mass which still subscribes to the AWB. Gun has a milled revciever, double hook trigger and dimples in the mag well and a 30 round mag. Gun's gonna run me 6 and a half. What do you all think?

Thanks

Allred

$650.00 is a good price. But are you unsure of the receiver type?

Milled receivers do not have dimples. They have lightening cuts to save weight and the dimples on stamped receivers are to support the magazine.

Milled

post-6703-1225662821_thumb.jpg

Stamped with dimples

post-6703-1225662867_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Allred

Milled receivers do not have dimples. They have lightening cuts to save weight and the dimples on stamped receivers are to support the magazine.

Milled

Stamped with dimples

I guess i don't. I was under the impression that the reciever is milled but it has dimples like the ones in the stamped photo. I will have to take a closer look at it. Still a good buy though?

Thanks

Allred

Milled

Stamped with dimples

I guess i don't. I was under the impression that the reciever is milled but it has dimples like the ones in the stamped photo. I will have to take a closer look at it. Still a good buy though?

No.

Yes.

Maybe.

There are some Bulgarian rifles that are stinking piles of poo.

Do not be fooled by the "Made in Bulgaria" name into thinking all Bulgarian AKs are "God's chosen guns".

You need to do more research.

Thanks for the input. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for? Importer matter?

Given my choice between a WASR and a Bulgarian, it seems to me the Bulgarian is much better built.

Edited by Allred
Thanks for the input. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for? Importer matter?

Given my choice between a WASR and a Bulgarian, it seems to me the Bulgarian is much better built.

Without more information, I"m gonna go out on a limb here and make an assumption.

I'd assume you are talking about a Bulgarian SSR-85C.

If it is marked "Armory USA. Houston, Texas" on it, go for it.

If it is marked "TGI, Knoxville TN", avoid it.

These guns are no longer held to the high standards as they were when they were imported by Global Trades / Armory USA.

In my opionion, a WASR is a much better option. The WASR is made of all new parts, and will provide you with decades of reliable service ( just make sure you check that everything is on straight before you pull your wallet out). The WASR is also a lot less money (you're paying for "It's a Bulgarian AK. ooooooooooh" or "WOW! I think I'm getting a Global Trades SSR-85C" with the currently shipping SSR-85C).

Hit the link above and think about it.

Without more information, I"m gonna go out on a limb here and make an assumption.

I'd assume you are talking about a Bulgarian SSR-85C.

If it is marked "Armory USA. Houston, Texas" on it, go for it.

If it is marked "TGI, Knoxville TN", avoid it.

These guns are no longer held to the high standards as they were when they were imported by Global Trades / Armory USA.

In my opionion, a WASR is a much better option. The WASR is made of all new parts, and will provide you with decades of reliable service ( just make sure you check that everything is on straight before you pull your wallet out). The WASR is also a lot less money (you're paying for "It's a Bulgarian AK. ooooooooooh" or "WOW! I think I'm getting a Global Trades SSR-85C" with the currently shipping SSR-85C).

Hit the link above and think about it.

Thanks for the links, I think i have enough knowledge to make a sound decision. You Rule

I'll keep you posted on what i decide to do.

Edited by Allred

The milled Bulgarian I shot several years ago was the nicest true AK I have ever fired - it is the gold standard of true AKs IMO. I have a stamped one and it is very nice too, much nicer than any WASR, but high in price and doesnt shoot or feel any better than a good Saiga convertion that costs less.

If I found a milled bulgy at that price, I would get it in a heartbeat.

The milled Bulgarian I shot several years ago was the nicest true AK I have ever fired - it is the gold standard of true AKs IMO. I have a stamped one and it is very nice too, much nicer than any WASR, but high in price and doesnt shoot or feel any better than a good Saiga convertion that costs less.

If I found a milled bulgy at that price, I would get it in a heartbeat.

I bought it.

I printed out the pages nalioth linked and went through the rifle checking every aspect. The buttstock wasn't as tight as some of the comparison pictures. i checked out but the rest of the rifle looked good. this rifle did not show any of the corrosion, grime or sloppy work pictured in those links.

Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Allred