Can you use heavy ball ammo in an SVD?

I know a shooter should never use heavy ball ammo (anything over 154 grains) in a PSL since it is an stamped receiver RPK pattern rifle designed for light ball ammo only, but out of curiosity I have always wondered as to whether this restriction also applied to the SVD, which has some noticeable differences in design (short stroke gas piston instead of long stroke, and a milled receiver instead of stamped). Anyone know if the SVD is also restricted to shooting just light (154 grain or less) ball ammo, or can it handle the heavier 174, 180, and 203 grain ammo as well?

First, the 200+ grain stuff is intended for machine guns. It was never intended for semi-automatic rifles or even the Mosin Nagant bolt action, and I would be very hesitant to use it in even a Mosin Nagant. Second, 180-grain is occasionally used in the SVD in military use, but it is not recommended for common use. It's no different than the PSL really: it's not going to blow it up, but it's not good for the gun. The Russian 7N1 and 7N14 sniper ammo is a 148-grain round, and is cheap enough to buy in bulk.

First, the 200+ grain stuff is intended for machine guns. It was never intended for semi-automatic rifles or even the Mosin Nagant bolt action, and I would be very hesitant to use it in even a Mosin Nagant. Second, 180-grain is occasionally used in the SVD in military use, but it is not recommended for common use. It's no different than the PSL really: it's not going to blow it up, but it's not good for the gun. The Russian 7N1 and 7N14 sniper ammo is a 148-grain round, and is cheap enough to buy in bulk.

Thanks Mike. There was one last thing I was wondering about with regards to the 200 grain ammo. You said the 200 grain machinegun ammo (which I assume would always be surplus ammo) should not be used either, and do you also know if that 200 grain soft point hunting round that Wolf makes should also be avoided? I wanted to ask because I have heard that particular 200 grain round is at least okay to shoot in a Mosin Nagant. Also, I have handled a few rounds of this 200 grain Wolf ammo myself before, and the round always sounds like a salt shaker (whereas I usually hear almost nothing with other 7.62 x 54R ammo), which would seem to indicate it is at least somewhat underloaded. In which case I thought this particular 200 grain ammo might generate less pressure than is usual for 7.62 x 54R ammo, which then might make it okay to shoot in an SVD (or possibly even a PSL).

It's the inertia from the round (heavier bullet) that creates recoil. 200 grain stuff is BAD. I've seen people shoot it in Mosin Nagants. I do not recommend it, and I do not condone its use. It's just NOT a good idea. You should be using Wolf or PRVI Partisan 150-grain, or 147-150 grain surplus. For a Mosin Nagant, it's okay to shoot up to 180-grain.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
Pretty powerful stuff. Honestly, WHY would you want to shoot that stuff? There's no medal for pain.

I assume by this you mean you mean something along the lines of "Sure, you can fire 200 grain Wolf soft point in a Mosin Nagant, but why would you ever want to?". Though in fairness to that particular loading, it has always been my understanding that it was intended as a hunting round geared towards bigger game like elk or moose, and I would think in that capacity it would indeed be a better choice than the lighter (154 grains or less) loads due to the improved penetration. Anyway, thanks for answering my question Mike. If I ever get a PSL (or win the lottery so I could afford to place the winning bid on an auction for a Tiger, NDM-86, or SVD), I'll just stick with the lighter 145-154 grain ammo, and get a Mosin Nagant if I ever feel the need to shoot the heavier stuff. Though come to think of it, maybe I'll just get a Mosin no matter what anyway (I've heard every shooter should have one).

Edited by Frogfoot
  • 2 weeks later...

Mosins can handle heavy ball just fine. The earliest standard load for them was 200+ grain roundnoses. They went to 150 grain spitzers just to get a flatter trajectory.

You can still get 200+ grain factory hunting loads for 7.62x54R. It is perfectly safe to shoot in a Mosin or PKM. Do not shoot it in a PSL or SVD.