whats the story on the high cap 410 mags?

hi all,im new too this forum but glad i found it.i have had a saiga 410 for about 3or 4 yrs now and i love it. i started reloading 3" 410 shells too save money.you would be surprised what you can fit into the little 3" shell.how about 2, 158 gr 38 caliber wad cutters?or 6, 30cal round balls? makes for lots of fun at the range.anyway my question is about the high cap mags for the 410 ,are they legal too own?are they available?what other conversions are available for this gun? thanks don

Welcome aboard ddhotbot. That does sound like some interesting reloading you've been doing. What posessed you to see how muchyou could stuff in a 410 casing? That sounds dangerous. I've been waiting to hear if someone had tried reloading these shells. Are you using the Barnaul steel cases? The mags are supposed to be legal now, though pretty hard to find in the US. As far as other conversions go , look around on this site and you will see a lot of ideas. I think you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you keep it legal by replacing enough parts on your gun with U.S. made ones and don't go over the legal length for a shotgun. If you have any specific questions the guys here are very helpful and not too stuffy to answer them.

Edited by Cobra 76 two

I tried to buy some HICAP .410 magazines.... spent far too much time looking and waiting, so I just bought a DOZEN Oompa-Loompa's, instead... and put them to work making chocolate for me in my basement.... was MUCH easier to get them...

cobra 76,i weigh everything and make sure it is smaller in diameter than the choke tube i have on my 410.i am using a load for 11/16 oz ,with win 296 powder.i was at the range sun and shooting it a little bit.i set a soda bottle at the 25yd berm and was able too hit it 3 times in a row with my 2-38cal bullet loads.i was actually really surprised myself because i thought those 2-158gr wad cutters would be tumbling and going everywhere.i reload only plastic and paper 3' 410 hulls,after i bought the gun i decided i better start reloading for it because the price of 410 shells was just too expensive.this thing is really fun.don

I was just thinking that all that extra weight in there would equal too much backpressure. I don't know anything about reloading though other than if you do it right you can shoot alot cheaper. Have you tried the Barnaul 3"steel case loads in your gun? I'm interested to see how they functioned if so. I just bought 100 rounds of it with 97gr slugs for 30 bucks. That's way cheaper than anything else out there in 3", slugs or shot.

I've been watching for 1 or 2 hi caps to become available on a certain site...got bored waiting so I went to Ebay..just out of curiosity. I found 1 and max'd bid $50.

I went back after a week and saw it sold for 177.00!!!!!!! :eek: Someone must have REALLY wanted one REAL bad.

BTW- anyone notice the latest Cabela's catalog sell 410 brass from Magtec? I wonder if it takes small rifle primers. Not sure if it is 3" either but I'll hafta give them a call.

Edited by NedPepper