I just got a Saiga .223, and the stock stock is too long for my LOP. How hard is it the shorten the stock? Is this something I could do, or should I take it to a gunsmith?

Does anyone known the LOP of the .223 with the stock stock?

I can do it for you but it will cost you at least $50. It's a lot of work. I'll try and find the pics I took of the last one I did for a member here.

If it doesn't have to be pretty...you can just cut the back end off it and shape a wood block to fit inside the butt. Then epoxy it in place and put a slip on butt pad over it....or custom shape a butt pad to the stock and screw it into the wood block.

Ok I found em.....

This was a project I did custom for a VERY good friend of mine (God rest your soul Aethelbert). He was very happy with it. I tried to talk him into just letting me convert the 410 for him and use a regular AK stock but he liked the sporter setup.

First, a section had to be removed between the cutoff butt and plate, and the rest of the stock. In order to preserve the threaded butt and plate, the shortening had to be done before that.

post-1293-1226333467_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1226333483_thumb.jpg

Then, in order for the butt to be reattached, it had to be cut in half and a section of it and the plate removed from the center, (along the taper making it even more tricky).

post-1293-1226333490_thumb.jpg

Then the pieces had to be glued and plastic welded together inside and out....then sanded smooth and painted.

post-1293-1226333509_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1226333523_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1226333539_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1226333555_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1226333563_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1226333573_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1226333733_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1226333753_thumb.jpg

:smoke:

Anything is possible.

• 1 month later...

I bought a smaller buttplate from Brownells (the smallest generic one they had). I cut the stock off to the length I wanted with a chop saw, rough sanded the inside to make it grippier and added epoxy putty to replace the screw holes.Greased the buttplate and screws and installed while the epoxy putty was setting. Once set, remove the buttplate, remove the grease from the screws, and reinstall. Sand buttplate to fit the stock if you want -- it was close enough for me. Works great. This was based off someone else's instructions here on saiga-12.

If I can do it you can do it. Took about 1/2 hour for the whole job.

Edited by vandal