10 round mags for the Saiga .410 question

New guy here with another question. It seems that everyone is using Surefire 10 round mags for their 410's so is it safe to assume that they are the only game in town when it comes to high cap magazines? It also sounds like their have been some feeding/reliability issues with them as well. Would I be better off just buying 4 round mags and moding them for 5 rounds in order to keep reliability? Open to thoughts and suggestions. Thank you in advance for your answers and assistance.

Rusmilitary has factory ten round mags for the .410 in stock right now. Shipping takes awhile, but if you are patient, it is worth it. Have not used the Surefire mags, but I think they will feed steel shells with a little lovin'. See Cobra's post in this section.

New guy here with another question. It seems that everyone is using Surefire 10 round mags for their 410's so is it safe to assume that they are the only game in town when it comes to high cap magazines? It also sounds like their have been some feeding/reliability issues with them as well. Would I be better off just buying 4 round mags and moding them for 5 rounds in order to keep reliability? Open to thoughts and suggestions. Thank you in advance for your answers and assistance.

My sure fire mags work perfectly on the plastic hulls I have run through, remingtons, AA's and new BPI hulls as well as those reloaded multiple times, often with imperfect crimps ( which have caused a few hang-ups).

Although it is disappointing that they will not chamber the russian gold/silver bear ( the least expensive) and I understand they wont chamber the estates as well(the second least expensive). This is not a deal breaker for me.

Although MAA has reduced their price 25% on these, I am waiting for delivery of their 15 rd mags, which I expect to have been improved to chamber the steel hulls. (Which I do have a supply of) :)

And I would love to have a few of the russian 10 rd'ers, but I must temper myself.

Note: after checking my supplies....I have run estates through her, and I do not recall any difficulties.

Edited by Patrick D

I've got 6 of the 10 round SF mags for my 2 .410s and havent had any problems with any of them yet.They dont feed the steel hulls,but it seems they worked that part out in the new 15 rounders that are coming out next.

Only thing i have is both my guns fit totally opposite each other,one the mags fit perfect and the other they're a bit loose,but it seems thats in the lock tab in the back on my guns being different.

In my opinion two or three mags that aren't reliable compared to one that is reliable is a bad trade off.

Spend the money on the Russian mags, and why would anyone continue to purchase mags that aren't 100% good, even at a discount is beyond my comprehension, unless its just to put them in the gun for a coolness factor.

And, if surefire has worked out the bugs on the newer mags, it seems almost unethical to sell the old ones, unless they clearly caveat them with a notice of what they will or won't work with.

If it wasn't for the guys here, no one would have ever known that they only worked with certain shells.

Can you imagine if Ford built a truck that only ran on Sunoco brand gasoline, and didn't mention it to all the people who don't live within 100 miles of the nearest Sunoco?

Edited by frick

Thanks for the reply frick. That's the way I think as well. Reliability first and foremost. I e-mailed Rusmilitary to ask about how much the shipping would be but they haven't gotten back to me yet. It's been 3 days since I e-mailed them so I may just go the route of buying the factory 4 rounders and modifying them to hold 5 rds. I guess they don't really want to sell their mags.

I bought all my Russian 10 rounders from people who had them already in the CONUS, so, I had no waits, or issues with customs. Yeah, I may have paid a 20% premium, but, I had them quickly, and I knew I would get them.

The bitch is, that Russmil sells their stuff off as fast as they get it, so its a sellers market, and they don't have to work much to move their product.

I've heard reports of the Russian mags not feeding steel cased Russian ammo as well. So I got the American made ones.

Hmmm.....Sounds like its a crap shoot as to which ones work the best. I hate to hold off buying any 10 rounders before you know who gets in office but I may have to just buy something and see what happens.

BTW--The factory issued 4 rd mags work okay with the steel hulled Russian ammo doesn't it? Sorry if this question has been asked before but I have been doing so much research and reading on this site that everything is starting to turn into a blur!! VERY good site for info!!! Thanks.

Mike

I just went to MAA's website and checked out their add for the 15 round mags. It says that they WILL NOT work with 3" steel cases!!!! What gives?

Surefire is finishing the final testing. We will know Monday if it works with steel cases. It easier to use plastic hull ammo from Walmart and not worry about using the steel that may or may not work in any 10 or 15 round mag. We will have the 15 rounders available this week and will let you know how they work.

I paid $100 for 2 of the Surefire 10 rounders and will wait to see what happens. If the mags are defective I will expect some kind of compensation. I am very appreciative of Surefire's dilligence and time devoted to developing these mags but they should work correctly and not be rushed to market without thorough testing so I will withold any judgement until the final outcome.

My 2 SF 10 rounders have worked well with american 3" mags for what it's worth even if there's a bit of wobble to them. Definitely have the same frustration about not knowing what loads will and will not work. I'm sort of thinking I could modify them to display the shells forward a bit and shoot 2.5" shells (I bought a case of target loads for the trap range and did not get the 4 shot 2.5" mag!!!) Or just pick up the factory 4 rd mag....

I just went to MAA's website and checked out their add for the 15 round mags. It says that they WILL NOT work with 3" steel cases!!!! What gives?

I too noticed that "disclaimer" as well Mike, I figuare that they are covering their *ss. And I have faith that their lastest production will be able to handel the steel hulls (considering the grief it has caused for them). Although it would be nice if they did, it is not a deal breaker for me.

my 10 rd'ers work well with the plastic that I load and reload.

loaded with 10 AA's.............failure to load, 0, reliability=100%

loaded with 10 golden bear...failure to load,10, reliablity=100%

Edited by Patrick D

I too noticed that "disclaimer" as well Mike, I figuare that they are covering their *ss. And I have faith that their lastest production will be able to handel the steel hulls. Although it would be nice if they did, it is not a deal breaker for me.

my 10 rd'ers work well with the plastic that I load and reload.

loaded with 10 AA's.............failure to load, 0, reliability=100%

loaded with 10 golden bear...failure to load,10, reliablity=100%

Queen--Thank you and please keep us informed.

I guess the main reason I keep asking about this issue is because my Saiga is going to be used for HD by my wife and oldest daughter. Therefore, it has to be 100% reliable every time, all the time.

I also understand that the SF mags work okay with plastic hulled stuff but I wanted to use the steel cased stuff since it is considerably cheaper and therefore will allow more practice. I know, I know, I could reload for it. Anybody care to tell me what reloading setup they are currently using and if they reload slugs and buckshot? I am familiar with reloading pistol and rifle rounds but have never done shotshells. This may be the way to go for me at this point.

Anyway, thank you all for the replies and info. It's been very helpful and informative. I am anxiously waiting to see about the 15 rounders!!

Mike