Conversion help

I am having trouble getting the base plate off. After a lot of drilling I was able to get the rear portion off however part of the rivet is still in the receiver. I am afraid to try to punch it out too hard and distort the receiver. And also, there are two spot welds under where the trigger guard used to be. Is it possible to "pop" the base plate free or should I drill into them a little? I'm not trying to be a pain here, I just really don't want to ruin my gun. Thanks.

-Broke

I am having trouble getting the base plate off. After a lot of drilling I was able to get the rear portion off however part of the rivet is still in the receiver. I am afraid to try to punch it out too hard and distort the receiver. And also, there are two spot welds under where the trigger guard used to be. Is it possible to "pop" the base plate free or should I drill into them a little? I'm not trying to be a pain here, I just really don't want to ruin my gun. Thanks.

-Broke

I've got the two rivets from the rear and the front off. Thanks. But now there are two spot welds in the middle, I know on the tutorial online and the youtube videos there is a third rivet there, but for me there is only two spot welds. It would probably be helpful to point out I'm working on a S308. Anything else you can add would be great. Thanks

-Broke

-Broke

I've got the two rivets from the rear and the front off. Thanks. But now there are two spot welds in the middle, I know on the tutorial online and the youtube videos there is a third rivet there, but for me there is only two spot welds. It would probably be helpful to point out I'm working on a S308. Anything else you can add would be great. Thanks

-Broke

BrokeNOJoke,

I went right through that weld IN 35 SECONDS with a "3/16 inch solid carbide end mill- that I got from Dinzag (part # EM1875)" For $10. You could use it on a rivet too if you centerpuch the rivet and were careful with your drill.

louielouie

Cold chisel.

It'll take care of the fore and aft rivets, and the big middle one can be drilled out from inside the receiver.

+1 on the cold chisel...

I gave up even using my centerdrills on those irritating spot welds on the trigger guard. I drill the back rivet and punch it through and then cold chisel the other two.... Last one I did, the trigger guard came off in near perfect condition.

You can carefully drill or grind the spot welds or rivet heads down and then use a cold chisel to pop the plate off.

You don't even have to do that.

The "sporting plate" is trash after the conversion. Place your cold chisel at the base of the rivet head at a 1 or 2 degree angle and drop a sledge hammer on it. The rivet head will fly right off with one or two whacks.

Starting from the end and peeling back the 'sporting plate' until you get to the rivet is even easier.